Need help with 50hp Evinrude 4-stroke

Guido

Cadet
My mother-in-law has a 2001 50hp Evinrude 4-stroke on her Sun Patio Pontoon (don't know the yr). Last year the wooden board (too tired to remember actual name of this part) that the engine attaches to fell apart (rotted) and her engine fell in the water (steering cables kept it from sinking to the bottom). <br /><br />Luckily she wasn't too far from a repair place. The repair place claimed they got it all dried out and was good to go.<br /><br />On the first trip out, the engine wasn't running right. Her son thought that maybe it was because one of the battery cables had worn through and he thought it was shorting out. One of her other son's and I fixed that problem. The engine ran alot better, except when you go past @ 3/4 throttle it starts running rough, like it is starved for gas. The bulb on the fuel line stays hard until your go past 3/4 throttle. <br /><br />It doesn't look like the fuel filter was changed after the dip in the lake. Do you think this could be the problem (clogged fuel filter), or something else.<br /><br />Sorry for the long post.<br /><br />Thanks for the help!!

Droll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need help with 50hp Evinrude 4-stroke

I don´t know these 4-stroke outboards , but after a trip into the water .<br />The whole fuel system in the engine shuld have ben drained , filters replaced.<br />Also changed oil/oil-filter , and then change oil again after some hours , just in case.<br />You should also check al electric connetions , just clean them , and maybe use some sort of " crc 565 " or equal ?