Need help troubleshooting to isolate problem to trim motor or electircal

deerhuntre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm confused trying to follow the service manual process of using a battery to test the UP trim motor. I'm not sure what 'block' or connector is what so I'm not sure which blue wire to get from where?

On my pump there's a solenoid and there's also a harness plugged in just below the solenoid to the pump with a blue wire.

Please clarify which blue and black wires to disconnect to hook to a battery to see if the motor runs in UP position.

Thank you!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need help troubleshooting to isolate problem to trim motor or electircal

What are we working on? other than "A Trim motor"

deerhuntre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for the brain fart....Its a 1972 Mercruiser 165 hp with an unidentified outdrive because I cannot find any serial numbers anywhere and there are no stickers on the sides either. I think photo's will help, so I'll get them posted shortly.

Don S

Let's call it a MC 1 drive, since that is the only drive that came on the 165.

If the pump is still on the boat, forget about testing just the motor. Go to 7A look at the wiring diagram on page 7A-7. The terminal block is on the pump housing, and the 2 green wires hook to it. The wiring diagram will also show you the blue and black wires.
Look through that section completely.

deerhuntre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you, Don. This is very helpful. What I wanted to do is perform the test on page 7A-19. I'm just finding it confusing to follow step a. and b. on 7A-19. Is the black wire they are talking about the one from p. 7A-7 that goes from the solenoid to 'Connet to -12v'? And, the blue, is it the one that goes from the solenoid to the pump motor via the 'squiggly' line?

And, the other strange thing: The previous owner had a metal hose clamp tightened around the harness plugin at the pump. I wonder if there's a short or something that was attempting to hold together?

cr2k

Captain

The hose clamp is factory.

deerhuntre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OH...I guess I will have to go fish it out of the trash. Thanks!!

Don S

Is the black wire they are talking about the one from p. 7A-7 that goes from the solenoid to 'Connet to -12v'?

Yes. Grounds always end at the battery.

And, the blue, is it the one that goes from the solenoid to the pump motor via the 'squiggly' line?

Yes.

The previous owner had a metal hose clamp tightened around the harness plugin at the pump

The clamp is just snugged up around the connector to keep it waterproof and secure. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN or you will damage the connection.

deerhuntre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Results of test: I connected the battery to the pump motor, black to neg and blue to positive. The motor did not turn at first, but then I tapped the pump motor housing on top and the motor began turning, first slowly, then picking up speed.

Please let me know what this may mean and what I may do to further diagnose and fix. My manual has a step by step for the pump motor and I'm going to start reading it, but before I begin taking things apart, I'd love to hear your advice and recommendations!!

Thank you!

Don S

Results of test: I connected the battery to the pump motor, black to neg and blue to positive. The motor did not turn at first, but then I tapped the pump motor housing on top and the motor began turning, first slowly, then picking up speed.

That means the motor has issues. Probably full of rust and corrosion. No doubt, you will need a new one.

deerhuntre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, Don. Now to figure out which part number/model to get....