Need Help New Motor Purchase AND THE WINNER IS

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've ordered a new Tracker Tundra 18 (18' hull with 8'3" beam). It will be a couple of weeks before I get it. Tentatively I have chosen a Mercury 115 2-stroke. It will push the boat 46 to 49 MPH, plenty for me! It’s about middle of the boat’s range. The boat will take up to a 175 HP. <br /><br />I researched my boat purchase very well but I’ve been thinking more about my motor choice. It will be a Mercury, as to which one I hope you all will help me on that. Recently I’ve read a lot about Mercury’s motor lineup. What partially prompted this was why so many different motors of same HP from one manufacturer? In addition lately I've read a lot on this board about the different motors and their pros and cons. Keep in mind I will be keeping this boat for a very long time, well over ten years. So I’m inclined to buy what I know a sturdy 2-stroke but the fours and Optimax have a lot to offer.<br /><br />So here are the issues:<br />1) 2-strokes and pollution, are there any restrictions around the US and Canada, current, proposed or planned, that would prohibit their use.<br />2) Will Mercury be abandoning standard carbureted 2-stroke technology anytime soon with the advent of the Optimax 2 strokes, 4 strokes and EFI motors? I don’t think parts will ever be an issue given the mandatory 10-year supply and all the units out there.<br />3) I own a carbureted H-D Electraglide and at any time I want I can change over to true EFI. If I wanted, needed or were required to is it or will it be available and cost effective for large carbureted Mercury 2 strokes?<br /><br />I really want to get the right motor for the boat and me within reason. Now for the money, my current setup is; boat with Mercury 115 HP carbureted 2 stroke motor, if I want to change the motor to a:<br />1) 115 EFI 4 stroke, add 1700.00 to purchase price.<br />2) 135 Optimax EFI 2 stroke, add 5200.00 to purchase price.<br />3) 150 EFI 2 stroke add 5100.00 to purchase price.<br />4) 150 Optimax EFI 2 stroke, add 7300.00 to purchase price.<br />5) 150 XR6 Carb – 2 stroke, add 2700.00 to purchase price.<br /><br />I don’t think I need more power, wouldn’t mind it if it didn’t weigh down the back of the boat too much and doesn’t add too much to the cost. I will have a kicker motor and I don’t want the boat to stand on end while stopped or WOT. I could get the 150 XR6 for 2700.00 but the weight? And is it the “right” motor.<br /><br />What do you think, keep the 115 I have planned, go for the cheapest power upgrade – what about the weight. There’s the Optimax, it’s a lot more $$$ but more efficient and less smoke. I could get the 115–4 stroke, more money but no more HP and I may be incorrect but aren’t they just a foreign motor in US clothes. I’ve had great luck with Mercury and that is what I want to purchase. <br /><br />What motor would you pick on your dollar after spending a lot of money on a new boat?<br /><br />Any and all comments and opinions will be greatly appreciated; I look forward to hearing your response. (I need your help)<br /><br />Thank you all. <br /> :confused: :eek: :)

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need Help New Motor Purchase AND THE WINNER IS

Now I got to bump it because the info is correct. :eek: <br /><br />Now chime in I need your help! :D <br /><br /><br /> :confused:

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Captain - If I give you my 2 cents worth as an enthusiastic amateur, it may get the ball rolling for the professionals to chip in...<br /><br />Even tho I'm a techo who works in the computer industry and as a rule loves new technology - when it comes to boat engines, what I've read here on this board and heard from others in the industry just convinces me more and more that staying with the tried and tested conventional models (ie 2 stoke carb) is the way to go for stress free boating. Maybe in a couple of years the high tech models will have proven themselves - then maybe I'll reconsider.<br /><br />A couple of days ago, I asked the experienced members of this board to nominate the good reliable engines that you don't hear much about (in the thread called "Outboards we like"). Most of the nominated models were the conventional OMC's, Mercs etc (Honda too). The point that was made was that if you look after these models properly, they'll last 30 years or more.<br /><br />Outboards we like<br /><br />So my vote would be to go with the conventional carb model and use the money saved to buy a nice holiday or whatever you please. <br /><br />Keep it Simple - less stress all round! ;) <br /><br />Good luck with your choice ! (I have a similar sized boat with 115hp Evinrude (carb model) - and I'm very happy with performance for skiing & general cruising).

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Capt Ultra...I went to the boat show to see the Tundra, very nice choice. I must agree with Kiwi and your first choice of power, tho, there are some waters out west here, altho not many, that do not allow 2 stroke outboards on them. I can only think of 2 waters, one is Lake Tahoe and the other is, if memory serves me correctly, one of the lakes on the Colorado...maybe lake Havasu, or lake Mead. I don't remember, but you might do some research and make sure there that a 4 stroke motor is not a better way to go for you. I would think that this particular boat you are purchasing is going to last you a very long time, and the emissions rules are only going to get more rigid as time passes. Good luck, and safe boating...just a Thought

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys I really appreciate your opinions.<br /><br />I am concerned about 2-stroke regs. being tightened. I live on east coast and don't know of any problems except for the 9.9 lakes and I have a small boat with an 8HP for that.<br /><br />I hope there are more of you out there that can shed more light on that.<br /><br />Thanks again :)

trevorcday

Petty Officer 1st Class

With such a big line of motors it is really difficult to choose. I think if you want to minimize the total cost of ownership over the life of the boat a conventional 2-stroke is still the way to go (fuel consumption and all). The Optimax and 4-stroke motors offer some nice operational advantages like reduced fuel economy, quiet operation (4-stroke only), less exhaust smoke, simple turn key starts, the abiltiy to troll slowly with a big motor...Unfortunately all that comes at a price in terms of the up front cost of the motor and in technical complexity which has the potential for increased maintenance costs. This is the trade-off you must make. I have never heard someone buy a 4-stroke and say gee I wish I had bought a 2-stroke. They just get the job done with so much less fuss than the two strokes. If you think that 115 hp will be adequate power for what you need I think I would go for the 4-stroke. If you are used to 2-stroke outboards you just won't believe how smooth and quiet the 4-strokes are. On the other hand this seems like a big boat for a 115. If you stick with the 4 cylinder 2-stroke definately buy a 125, they should only be about $400 more than a 115. The 150 XR6 is the best bang for the buck in that HP range and would probably be a good size engine for your boat also. The Opti motors are also very impressive but they still sound like 2-strokes which is music to some but not to others. They are quite heavy being a V6.<br /><br />Good luck with your purchase.

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thansk mrmerc,<br /><br />I considered the 125 too but the dealer talked me out of it, they've always been good to me.<br /><br />He pulled out all his mercs specs and told me the moters are identical, the 115 just detuned. Must be carbs allowing more gas and air mix to gat 125HP. It increases speed for this boat 2 to 3 MPH but less MPG. What do you think? Worth it in other ways? My thought was why not get all that's designed out of the motor. Detuned sounds too much like a gov.<br /><br />Thats why I didn't include the 125 in the list. If the 125 is going to be better in other ways I agree 400 aint bad. Originally thats the way I was going to go.<br /><br />Than there is the 150, not bad for 1700 more. Will the weight be an issue on a light boat, considering an 8 HP kicker and 46 gals of fuel? The fuel is slightly rear of center. Will the boat stand up on end?<br /><br /><br />Thanks for your help! :confused:

Digdug

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Capt Ultra, nice choice. These performance aluminum boats are becoming very popular. Light, strong, durable and fast. My father just purchased a 18'3" Express all welded aluminum and he is very pleased. Boat has a 115hp Yamaha and runs like a bat out of H*&^%*&%^. Boat jumps out on plane...great midrange acceleration and top end of 50++. I think his boat is rated for a 150hp. His gas tank is in the back of boat and with 3 batteries, full tank of gas, and two men weighing over 200 lbs each the boat still will put you back in the seat and planes out in 10 yards. If you opt for the smaller engine (115hp) you can have the engine installed with a manual jack plate (only $200) and maximize speed and efficiency. I bet you would be supprised. Good luck!

trevorcday

Petty Officer 1st Class

as far as the 115/125 thing goes I would definately go for the 125. They are the same motor except for bigger carbs on the 125. I think the few extra dollars is well worth it to get almost 10% more power.<br />I am not 100% familiar with the Tracker line of boats. At our dealership we sell SmokerCraft. Comparing the dimensions of your boat I think it wold be like a 192 Millentia which is 19' x 96" beam also rated for 175 hp. I have run this boat with a 115 and found it to be adequate but a bit slow to plane when fully loaded. That boat had a 115 4-stroke and a 9.9 4-stroke kicker. It sat relatively level at rest. I also ran a 172 Millentia (17'-2" x 91" beam) with a 135 Opti on it. This boat definately sat low at the stern, but then again this is a smaller boat than yours. I think the boat you are getting will be fine with the weight of a V6 on it. The XR6 isn't a real sophisticated motor but it will deliver good performance combined with simplicity!<br /><br />Good luck.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you plan to fishing alone, then fine. Power with a 115/125. But if you want to haul friends, gear, gas, livewells full of fish, etc...you'd be wise to step up to the 150 V-6. Nobody says you can't throttle back when you're running light...but if the power isn't there when you're loaded to the gills pun intended)...you're gonna get left behind. I don't think you'll like that...<br /><br />Either way you go...you've got a nice set up. I just think you'll be happier running the 150.<br /><br />Walt

D

DJ

Cap'n U,<br /><br />I think the 115 4-stroke makes alot of sense unless you run heavy alot. I wouldn't worry about the weight, the boat is rated for larger engines that weigh just as much if not more.<br /><br />If you're a speed demon and not worried about EPA restrictions in your area, go with the 150 XR6. Those two make the most economic sense. Both should be relatively simple (especially) the XR6.<br /><br />I believe the 115-4 is a yammie in black. Who knows where it was made-who cares. It would provide excellent fuel economy, no smoke and instant starts. Should have great resale too.<br /><br />The XR6 is about as bulletprof as you can get. It'll be thirsty and a bit cold blooded. But it will go like a bat out of<br /> &*(&!<br /><br />I envy you, you lucky dawg!

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

THANKS!!!<br /><br />I think I have the info I need. I knew you all would come through.<br /><br />I am 99% sure of what I am going to put on the boat. I know you have an investment in this and want to know. I have untill Monday to decide, the boat will be in and I have an appt with the dealer.<br /><br />I have one other consideration (no not the wife) but than I will be 100% and will let you know.<br /><br />I floated around in here for a few months before joining, when I joined I was shure I would enjoy this board. The big problem is next fall when the football I-Board heats up I will be flipping back and forth.<br /><br />It's a great place and I enjoy darn near all of you. ;) Good reading, funny (even sometimes when its not suposed to be) A great resource as well! And I try to contribute to the best of my knowledge.<br /><br />Thanks again! :cool:

D

DJ

Cap'n U,<br /><br />Come on, do tell, the suspense is killing us! :D

EKGH2N

Recruit

CAPT ULTRA<br /> I JUST ORDERED A LUND 1700 FISHERMAN WAS GOING TO GET THE 4 STROKE 90 MERC WHICH IS A GOOD MOTOR WHICH I FOUND OUT FROM THE GUYS ON THIS SITE BUT I DECIDED TO GO WITH 115 HONDA THE DEARLER SAID THE MONEY I WOULD SAVE IN FUEL WOULD PAY FOR THE UP GRADE IN A COUPLE OF SEASONS THE UP GRADE WAS 750.00 AND I AM HAPPY I WENT WITH THE BIGGER ENGINE<br /><br />EKGH2N

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I asked, I received, I thanked all and than I didn't tell anyone!<br /><br />This may go over as well as ice fishing without a hole but I'll try it anyway.<br /><br />This is the entertainment portion of this thread.<br /><br />You all gave such great advice, many differed but all based on very solid evidence. Very good, thanks again!<br /><br />It's very obvious how knowledgeable many of you are. You know about your EFI, VRO MPG, PRO, REV, MPH, RPM but what about your ESP.<br /><br />Based on the advice on the previous posts in this thread: What motor did I pick?<br /><br />Using your vast knowledge of motors and your knowledge of the average boater's mind (or lack there of). You have 10 I-Bux out of all the motors mentioned place I-Bux according to what you think I did choose - More than likely - Might have and so on.<br /><br />For instance:<br />115/4 EFI seven I-Bux<br />135 Optimax two I-Bux<br />150 XE6 one I-Bux<br /><br />This is open to anyone not just the previous posters. For obvious reasons this is just for fun till the snow melts. Sorry no prize except affirming your knowledge of motors, boaters and the human condition.<br /><br />I hope this is fun but if it isn't I'll just change my online name tell everyone that I have a PWC and need advice on how to pull skiers with it. You will never know it’s me.<br /><br /> :) :( ;) :eek:

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Captain - Great entertaining idea! - I'm impressed by original thinking and I don't think you should ever be ashamed of trying something out - even if it doesn't take off. The reason that your country is so strong is because of it's original thinkers, like Henry Ford, Ole Evinrude, Thomas Edison, Bill Gates and many others (many of whom are not so famous).<br /><br />I'll put 6 I-Bux on the 115 Carb 2 stroke<br />and 4 I-Bux on the 115 EFI 4 stroke.<br /><br />Who else will place a bet ?

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

Totally concur with the original thinking idea kiwi! Sorry I have nothing else to add, as I have not read the whole thread yet.

trevorcday

Petty Officer 1st Class

10 I-bux on ...<br />115 4-stroke!

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I saw in another post that DJohns put ALL his I-Bux on the 115 EFI 4 stroke.<br /><br />Any more bets before the good Captain reveals all...? :eek: ;)

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes Kiwi I saw that and thanks for noting it here.<br /><br />Well football is over and baseball's yet to start. For a good many of us here it's not fishing season nor boating yet. Unless you're down south or down under! Or one of those hearty souls that ice fish. Always thought I would try that one day...? one day...<br /><br />I ride by the lake near me, sitting in my warm truck, I watch and once in a while walk out and talk with the guys. They are a hardy bunch except once in awhile there's a guy with his polaris 4x4 and a fancy fold down hut, gas auger, heater and TV. But that's not the norm.<br /><br />Well with this warm winter there is very little fishing to be done, the lake froze once thick enough and only for about 3 weeks. So now there is a thin layer of ice, can't go out on it to fish and can't put a boat in and can't fish from the bank. I live in the country and there's only ONE tavern around, and at that tavern down from the lake the good ol boys aint happy. We're even between hunting seasons!!!<br /><br />So no Monday Night Football so tomarrow night I'll post in detail my choice and explain in detail why. I have been surprised at your guesses, it seems some of you are betting on what I will do instead of betting with your advice. Don't you believe I listened to you? I did and that's a hint!<br /><br />There's little time left get your posts in!!!<br /><br /><br /> :) :D ;) :p