Need Help locating any information on Newman boats

rdean72

Recruit
Hello,

I am brand new to boating and probably have bitten of more than I can chew. I have been going through the restores on this site and it is scarring me..lol
I bought a 1978 16' Newman Boat and I am trying to find any information on parts, owners manuals, wiring diagrams, maint manuals and parts suppliers. I am not having much luck finding anything about Newman Boats. If anyone has any information on this boat I would appreciate any info that you can give. Does the manufacturer still exist? Did a mainstream Boat Manufacturer buy them out?

Details:
1978 Newman 16'; Make: OLYB; Manufacturers ID number: MOZA92014854; Model Number: BT142; 140HP Mercruiser Model MCM140

Any direction to forums on maint manual, wiring diagrams for the engine and drive would be great as well.
Thank you

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need Help locating any information on Newman boats

To be honest, it is highly unlikely you will find any documentation on the boat. However, there is plenty available for your motor and drive which is what's most important anyway. Throw a post up in the Mercruiser section and they'll tell you where to find it. As far as know Newman isn't around anymore. You have a reputable powerplant in there with good parts support. As long as the boat isn't rotted, you should be in good shape.

haulnazz15

Captain

Newman boats were of decent quality, I learned to ski behind one as a child. A 17' tri hull bass boat with a 90HP Johnson SeaHorse. It wasn't the prettiest boat (dark tan hull with brown interior) but it was definitely solid. I never had any experience with their I/O setups, but at that age, it's all about the overall condition/care from the owner and whether or not the transom/stringers are still solid. A great boat for a beginner though if everything else checks out on it.

rdean72

Recruit

Thank you soo much for your advice. I am looking forward to next summer when I can get this vessel into the water.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

They sold in the Dallas, TX. area in the early '70's. Either Phil Dill Boats or Jerry Whittle Boats (both still in business and on www) probably sold them. As I recall they were mfg'd in Oklahoma.

Mark

1971 Newman

Recruit

I've restored a 1971 18ft. Newman DeVille, GM 250ci. (165 HP) MerCruiser I/O. Newman Industies was a family owned business in Miami, OK. After speaking with the Miami Dobson Museum, I've found that the last family member, the owners son, no longer lives in Miami, OK. They are trying to locate him in an effort to gather more info for me. I don't know anything about the "sales network", but did purchase mine used from a local boat dealer in Clear Lake, IA in 1992. They did not sell these boats new. I have seen one as far north as Superior, WI. There used to be one more on Clear Lake, in IA. I believe it was a 1975, also a MerCruiser I/O. The oldest Newman I've come across in on iboats.com, 1978 with a 302ci. in the Vegas area.
Hello,

I am brand new to boating and probably have bitten of more than I can chew. I have been going through the restores on this site and it is scarring me..lol
I bought a 1978 16' Newman Boat and I am trying to find any information on parts, owners manuals, wiring diagrams, maint manuals and parts suppliers. I am not having much luck finding anything about Newman Boats. If anyone has any information on this boat I would appreciate any info that you can give. Does the manufacturer still exist? Did a mainstream Boat Manufacturer buy them out?

Details:
1978 Newman 16'; Make: OLYB; Manufacturers ID number: MOZA92014854; Model Number: BT142; 140HP Mercruiser Model MCM140

Any direction to forums on maint manual, wiring diagrams for the engine and drive would be great as well.
Thank you

Old Newman

Recruit
I realize it has been a few years since you were asking about the Newman boats. However, we also just purchased a 14 foot Newman. It has no ID or serial numbers other than the Newman tag. The previous owner said it was a 1967 and it makes sense since the motor is a 1968 Mercury. I also am looking for information and was wondering if you found any information regarding the Newman Boats. I love vintage items and love this little boat. boat.png

Attachments

• boat.png
    boat.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 1

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard: If you've not already, please review our forum rules about topics over 90 days old.

This topic is 4 years dormant, and the OP hasn't been 'round in 3. It'd be best to start your own topic and get the ball rolling again that way. Cool lookin' boat ...

rdean72

Recruit
I will post some of the documentation I have found. Primarily engine and hydraulics info. As soon as I find them, I will upload them.