Need fuel pump ??

old boat 54

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Motor is 1968 johnson 9.5 h.p. Model # MQ-14D. My uncle's motor which he did not use for a while. Lucky for me he followed the storage procedures, and motor was in good shape. The fuel pump was apart. I looked up a drawing to confirm the order of the sections. He had the parts in bag, but I did not see any springs in there, and one screw was missing.
I assembled it, did a check out, and it started up on 3 pulls. Yes, it was in a water test tank. idles well, but I figured, with the original pump missing the spring, I would have to keep pumping up the fuel hose ball, as it would run
( idle) as long as I kept fuel pressure to carb. ( I also did not pump bulb, to see if pump was doing anything, but it started to cough after about a minute or so, and as soon as I gave it a squeeze, the motor would even out. )
Since I dont know what group of spring(s) or spring was in there, I figured to buy a pump, instead of re-build kit.
Can't find pump or carb kit here on I-boats. Would perfer to buy through I-boat. A lot of parts for 9.9, but not for 9.5 Any suggestions of other places I can get pump, so I can get this motor pushing a boat.
Thanks .......

Last edited:

AlTn

Commander
Re: Need fuel pump ??

shop2.evinrude.com....select johnson....year...model..carb group...your fuel pump is 0382224....I'm sure that'll cross over to another number that's cheaper here on iboats...

old boat 54

Petty Officer 3rd Class

shop2.evinrude.com....select johnson....year...model..carb group...your fuel pump is 0382224....I'm sure that'll cross over to another number that's cheaper here on iboats...

AITn,

Thanks for info. I went to site and did see the part #. Does not look like this was s common pump. Do you know if there is a cross over parts list here on iboats ? I checked at the serra site, and it looks as it is not available in after market.

Anyone with info, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks .....

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

382224 changes to 388833, did not see a crossreference to an aftermarket pump or repair kit.

old boat 54

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Daviet,

Thanks for the info. The part numbers keep up-dating. Looks like I'll have to go with the original.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Sierra 18-7350 will fit. You may have to re-route some fuel hoses.

old boat 54

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for info guys. Question though .... The number 18-7350 on the link shows this pump for 9.9 but not 9.5. I saw this pump before, and it looks very close to what I have, and I was going to order. I called i-boats, and they told me there was not a after market replacement, and they did not carry the original. I am sure you guys worked on a number of motors, and would know what would work, and what would not.
I am curious as how you cross referenced the numbers.

Thanks again, as this pump is half the price of the original.

for reference
1968 9.5 johnson MQ-14D motor

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Thanks for info guys. Question though .... The number 18-7350 on the link shows this pump for 9.9 but not 9.5. I saw this pump before, and it looks very close to what I have, and I was going to order. I called i-boats, and they told me there was not a after market replacement, and they did not carry the original. I am sure you guys worked on a number of motors, and would know what would work, and what would not.
I am curious as how you cross referenced the numbers.

I have had a 9.5 and always have several small OMC motors. <Insert another supplier's name here> listed the 18-7350 as a universal replacement for the "small square pump" on Johnson-Evinrude's from 1958-1989 up to 25 HP. I called them up any they said it would fit. And it did. I also knew that if it was a bust I could put it on another motor....the only thing to remember is that the pump must have the "top" marking at the top or it won't work correctly. The hoses can be re-routed to fit, and the fuel input connection can be rotated.

The real clue is the pump to crankcase gasket. If the gasket PN is 0303615, then it is very likely that the pump will fit, but the output hose may have to be re-routed. It's a good idea to replace the hoses anyway if they are original, since they are over 40 years old, they break down from the inside, ethanol may help it along, and the carb ends up clogged with pieces of semi-liquified black goo.

old boat 54

Petty Officer 3rd Class

tx1961 whaler

Thanks for the info. I went to a site with exploded engine view/ carb detail, and checked the gasket for the original pump. it is the exact number you listed. should bolt right up. I was planning on replacing fuel lines during winter.
another project. I also have a 33 hp johnson that needs some carb work.
Fun projects. Beats working, but have to do that for project money.
Who started that "work" stuff anyway ?:D

old boat 54

Petty Officer 3rd Class

TX 1961 Whaler,

Thanks for the help with the fuel pump. I ordered from i-boats, bolted it on, adjusted fuel lines, and got her in the water. Started up, and ran fine. Going to replace the fuel lines, and re0build carb next. Saved me some money, instead of buying original johnson for over $100.00.

Aplotkin2

Recruit

I hate to jump in on an old post, but this turned up in a search. I have the old Johnson 9.5 also, and I am also in need of a fuel pump. I was just about to purchase the 18-7350 and try to reroute the lines, but I stumbled upon a Fuel Pulse Pump. Has anyone ever tried to make one of them work with one of the small outboards? Is seems like it would kind of be a universal fit type of thing. Any opinions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.