Need cover, can't find cover specific to my boat-need help

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer
I'm posting this here since most folks active in this forum are working on restoration and older boats. I too am restoring my boat and I need to buy a quality cover for it. I can get accurate measurements and I can post specific info. I was hoping someone can maybe point me to a more popular brand of that era (1979) that would be similar enough to fit my boat.

My boat is a 1979 Cane Cutter 15.2 (15.08ft in length roughly)
The beam width is 73" and the hull is a modified tri-hull but the windshields are split and not upfront. The bow is kind of wide and not like modern bass boats so most "standard" covers do not fit up-front.

Here is a picture of my boat.
IMG00354.jpg

Last edited:

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need cover, can't find cover specific to my boat-need help

I saw those but the windshield is more forward towards the bow than my boat. My windshields are more towards the middle or back. That's why I'm wondering if a deck boat is better choice for a boat type selection vs. a tri-hull. I have found some deck boat covers within the right length and width.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

the window placement wont really matter on a universal fit cover...whether the bump is fore or aft it will still fit, or should, but personally before I bought a universal, I would check your local upholsterers and see what kind of price for fitted cover....could be quite nearly the same after shipping/extras

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm not trying to make this an over complicated subject but if the cover does not fit correctly so that the vents are positioned properly the cover will develop mold rapidly. The custom cover is the solution, I've tried the off the shelf ones and it isn't worth the money if it cost you more in damage to the interior from the mold. The off the shelf ones are fine for a couple of days or an occasional unpredictated rain storm but for more than that you need one that is designed for your boat. I have mine made with a opening that accepts a simple 12v bilge blower and I run it randomly to circulate fresh air and dry out any accumulated moisture.

I'm on the west coast and the average cost is about 600.00. Add a 150.00 more if you want to be trailerable.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

This is my custom cover:

CopyofDSC02338.jpg

$20 at Wal-mart and 8 bungees.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

LOL, good one, how fast can you tow with that on.:)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

LOL, good one, how fast can you tow with that on.:)

I towed the boat from Birmingham Alabama to Lake Nippissing Ontario Canada and back covered like that, I think my top speed was 75 mph. I did have more bungees on it though. 1151 miles each way... I'm serious.