Need advice!

t_south91

Seaman
Ok guys,

So I got a 1985 sea sprite 180 xl for $1 from a friend. It has a 3.8l 4 barrel OMC with a stringer outdrive (I know...not ideal). Took it to a shop to have the engine looked over and it needs a new impeller and driveshaft because it wont't go into gear. The floor is solid but the transom is semi-soft. I didn't think it was soft but the boat shop seemed to think it was pretty bad (I think he just wanted my money). So thus far, I have managed to rebuild 2 of the boxes for the seats, pull up the carpet and lay down a bed liner type surface called durabak because I hate wet carpet. Total of about $400 put in thus far.

My dilemma is this. I know those stringers are money pits so should I just go ahead and put a better motor and outdrive in it that I know will be reliable? While also replacing the transom? Or should I just cut my losses and try and sell it?

It's been fun thus far working on it and it has the potential to be a sweet boat. But I don't know much about installing motors/outdrives. I'm pretty handy but not with that.

I would like to put a 5.0 or 5.7 in it. But I dont know if either of those would fit. A 90's model probably bc that would be the most affordable for me.

All input is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need advice!

I'm sure you could sell it for the $1 you paid for it.

A transom issue is a serious issue--either commit to fixing it and fixing it right, or abandon ship--on dry land or in the middle of the lake is your choice, but those are the only two choices.

I certainly wouldn't put any time, effort or money into the things that don't matter.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

From the sound of your post, you seem to be most interested in dock appeal and size more so than condition. If that is the case, keep in mind that a bad motor can leave to adrift(carry a couple paddles) but a bad hull can leave you in the drink treading water!:flame:

I would suggest you sell this one and find one that is in sound condition.

Really, a dollar??? Guess your friend knew something!:D

Post a couple of photo's, it always helps to get more and better information.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

Transom sorta' matters on a Stringer drive.

A bad transom is bad, but a semi-bad transom may not mean anything. The Stringer drive doesn't mount to the transom - it passes through it. The drive system mounts and applies all of it's pressure to the stringers of your boat. Some boats equipped with Stringer drives didn't have a traditional "heavy" transom like you would for a Merc even. If it keeps water outside the boat, then your transom may be okay.

The drive may or may not be worth working on. A Stringer drive will be a garage prima-donna. They like to be worked on. At the same time, they're kind of a nice system. I like mine quite a bit.

If you can repair the drive inexpensively (under $1,000) would the boat that you have be a good $1,500 boat? If so, that's cheap fun if you're okay with working on it. Otherwise, re-powering to anything other than a Stringer drive will require you to re-build the transom (no matter how it was built). No other drive will fill up the hole the Stringer leaves behind.

If you are "iffy" about being a Stringer owner at all - part it out, get some money out of it and buy something else.

Bondo

Staff member

Ok guys,

So I got a 1985 sea sprite 180 xl for $1 from a friend. It has a 3.8l 4 barrel OMC with a stringer outdrive (I know...not ideal). Took it to a shop to have the engine looked over and it needs a new impeller and driveshaft because it wont't go into gear. The floor is solid but the transom is semi-soft. I didn't think it was soft but the boat shop seemed to think it was pretty bad (I think he just wanted my money). So thus far, I have managed to rebuild 2 of the boxes for the seats, pull up the carpet and lay down a bed liner type surface called durabak because I hate wet carpet. Total of about $400 put in thus far.

My dilemma is this. I know those stringers are money pits so should I just go ahead and put a better motor and outdrive in it that I know will be reliable? While also replacing the transom? Or should I just cut my losses and try and sell it?

It's been fun thus far working on it and it has the potential to be a sweet boat. But I don't know much about installing motors/outdrives. I'm pretty handy but not with that.

I would like to put a 5.0 or 5.7 in it. But I dont know if either of those would fit. A 90's model probably bc that would be the most affordable for me.

All input is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Sell it for $500.00, 'n buy another boat, without the stringer drive, 'n motor ya can't buy parts for,...

Don't buy a Merc powered boat, with a 470 motor either,....

t_south91

Seaman

Transom sorta' matters on a Stringer drive.

A bad transom is bad, but a semi-bad transom may not mean anything. The Stringer drive doesn't mount to the transom - it passes through it. The drive system mounts and applies all of it's pressure to the stringers of your boat. Some boats equipped with Stringer drives didn't have a traditional "heavy" transom like you would for a Merc even. If it keeps water outside the boat, then your transom may be okay.

The drive may or may not be worth working on. A Stringer drive will be a garage prima-donna. They like to be worked on. At the same time, they're kind of a nice system. I like mine quite a bit.

If you can repair the drive inexpensively (under $1,000) would the boat that you have be a good $1,500 boat? If so, that's cheap fun if you're okay with working on it. Otherwise, re-powering to anything other than a Stringer drive will require you to re-build the transom (no matter how it was built). No other drive will fill up the hole the Stringer leaves behind.

If you are "iffy" about being a Stringer owner at all - part it out, get some money out of it and buy something else.

Thanks for your help!
I think I can probably get it done for right around 1500. The engine itself is actually pretty stout! Im just wondering if I should quit while I am ahead before I really dive into this thing.

t_south91

Seaman

trying to upload more photos but I think the files are to big. this one is before I put the non-slippery surface down.

southkogs

Staff member

...I think I can probably get it done for right around 1500...
If you mean that just gettin' the drive going will run you about $1,500, then I'll only say that would be the end game for my boat.

To explain: I got my boat not really knowing what an OMC Stringer was. But I got it "stupid" cheap (so, you and I are in about the same situation). I'm running mine for the (I think) fifth season and all-in (buying it, gas, registration, second stern drive, etc., etc.) I'm still under $5,000. I found donor parts to makeup my spare stern drive, learned to do all my own engine and repair work (I'm not that good of a mechanic, but I do kinda' enjoy some of it). So, it's been pretty cheap boating for me - and the whole situation works well for my family.

If, however, I ran into a jam that was gonna' cost me $1,500 to fix - especially if it was the stern drive itself - there's a good chance that I'd put her away. Saving up for a little bit and moving into the $3,500 zone, I could probably get into a decent 20' boat with a good Mercruiser which would be a lot easier to deal with moving forward.

Weigh your options out really carefully, and if you stay with the Stringer make sure you actually enjoy keeping it working. Otherwise, it's just gonna' be frustrating.

t_south91

Seaman

Thanks for your advice. I think the best option is just to sell it. I want some sort of project this one just requires to much I think.

I was like you though...had no idea what a stringer was and the first time I hit that tilt button and saw that outdrive drop I thought it had fallen off! That sucker drops in a hurry!!!

southkogs

Staff member

^^^ :D, Yeah it goes down fast and comes up sloooooooooow.

It's too bad they couldn't work it into something a little better. There are a few real advantages to the drive, one in particular is the quiet. At idle, you really can't hear my boat running at all even with the deck lid up. Up on plane it's making noise, but you don't have to yell at each other to talk.

My boat itself (hull and interior) were in rather incredible shape. I've been slowly doing re-work on bits and pieces on the interior, but it's just to make it better. I didn't need to do a restoration - just some cleaning and fixing. For that reason, I've been able to keep a pretty nice boat for cheap with the Stringer drive.

But I think you may have more to do than I did, and are probably making the right decision.