Need Advice on Windshiled Issue

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1987 Sea Ray Sorrento 24's windshield on the starboard side is loose and 2 of the self-tapping screws that hold it in place are exposed (see picture). I'm getting a small amount of water in the cuddy. The windshield moves every time someone puts their hand on it. I'm looking for advice on how to repair this. I realize I could go inside the cuddy and peel back the carpeting and install new screws. I was hoping to come up with a less permanent repair.

My thoughts were to install a couple of metal shims to take the weight and silicone around the screws. Just not sure what I could use for shims. Has anyone every fixed something like this?

Thanks

Bob

Attachments

• Windshield.jpg
    Windshield.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Need Advice on Windshiled Issue

the screws should be down from the top. remove the top window rail, remove the window, remove the weather stripping. pull the screws, fix the hole (marine tex or other). then re-drill, seal with 4200 or 5200, re-install weather stripping, re-install windows, re-install top rail.

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Scott: Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not the most experienced repair guy. What is "4200 or 5200"? As for the weather stripping is this marine grade or something I can pick up at an auto parts store? What are those screws tapping into?

Thanks

Bob

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

3M 4200 is for above the water line, 5200 is for below the water line. it is a urethane adhesive/sealant.

the screws are taping into the fiberglass/core