Need advice on repairing shaved keel (fiberglass)

pman7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got an 72, 16' Ouachita fiberglass boat and I just saw that my front keel rib is shaved off to where the fiberglass keel rib is nearly paper thin with a couple of holes. The thin area is about 3 inchs long and about 1.5" wide. The base of the keel rib is about 2.5" wide.

Here's my plan. Maybe someone can tell me if this would work or not and what type of cloth or fibers and resins to use.

I'll turn the boat upside down. Then I'll cut out the hole area large enough into the area where the thinned fiberglass starts to thicken (about 1/4" wider on each side and maybe an inch longer on each end than the thined out area).

Inside this hole, behind the fiberglass is the float foam. I plan on cleaning it out about an inch deep and about an 2" wider (1 inch on each side) and longer than my cut out hole. This would give me about an inch lip inside on all 4 sides of the rectangle cut out.

After sanding and cleaning the inner lip and outer hull surface I will start filling with resin and cloth in the recessed hole with cloth wider than my hole. I'll layer the hole void full and then rebuild the entire exterior worn keel length on the outside. On the outside I'll start with a wide cloth and build up with narrower layers until I am satisfied with the keel thickness. I'll probably make it an inch or so thick on the rib itself.

This way the keel would be rebuilt and thicker in the hole area than it ever was. Does this sound like a viable plan?

I've read that repairing with auto fiberglass isn't good. Is there a difference in marine and auto fiberglass?

Would someone suggest the proper resin/cloth combination for my situation? ObviouslyOr any suggestion you might have would be greatly appreciated.

pman7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need advice on repairing shaved keel (fiberglass)

I forgot to mention. I've looked for other similar threads but didn't find any. If anyone knows of other threads or internet articles I would appreciate being pointed in that direction.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

pman, That sounds pretty good. You do not need to turn the hull over. The glass will stick just fine. Most important is to get out any saturated foam or rotted wood. All surfaces must be clean and dry. You do not need to cut out the foam, if it is dry. Grind down the glass until you have a tapered hole, like you specified. Wipe it with acetone. Now cut a small piece of cloth to fit the small center of the tapered ares. Now a larger piece of cloth to cover the first. Next a larger piece of cloth to cover the second, until you have built up the correct thickness. Now mix some epoxy resin, paint up the area to be repaired, install the first piece of cloth, saturate it, install the second piece of cloth, saturate it and continue until you have boult up the area. When it is dry, sand it a bit, wipe it with acetone, and use some marine poly or epoxy putty to fill in any imperfection. Sand it smooth, and repeat until it is perfect. You can add some gelcoat if you want.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Only extra advice is to start with narrow glass cloth and proceed to wider. That way you don't have a bunch of exposed edges. It is mechanically more sound.