need advice on how to power my boat

Cptkid570

Ensign
Re: need advice on how to power my boat

You are obviously trying to talk yourself into this boat because it's such a good deal. But, if you do not take this boards advise, please do research on OMC Stringer drives before you buy.

The stringer drives are completely different than what you see with other, more modern outrives.. or even the OMC Cobras (which can be switched out to mercruisers). The stringer drives have a weaker transom and cannot support a different brand of drive. So, it's very difficult to swap it to anything else.

salty87

Commander

i have no dog in this hunt but if you're looking at $3k to buy the boat, a couple more thousand for an engine upgrade, and the possibility of another $2k for another outdrive overhaul that is only going to get more expensive as time goes...why not just spend the $8k for a boat that doesn't need an engine upgrade or the possibility of an expensive outdrive repair?

ever heard what b. o. a. t. stands for? this is already an expensive hobby.

i couldn't get your link to work, btw.

whywhyzed

Banned

I love all the OMC cost analysis... I just bought a brand new GLM upper gear set for my 800 stringer on eBay for $3.96
Did I say $3.96? That's Three Dollars and ninety six cents...
Canadian $ even!
The lower gear set was pricey though....99 cents

For laughs I bought a Alpha upper set for $8, so I can resell it to some black anchor lover for $500

rogerwa

Commander

I have no experience with OMC but asking whether something is a good deal is difficult for others to answer. they don't know what you think is a good deal.

If your happy with the deal, that is all that matters. Only time will tell whether it was a wise choice and met your needs or not.

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

id give my left nutt just to be able to hand a few of these folks wrenches, yet some need them to explain themselves as to why do you need that one.

it's life, yet still unbelievable.............

oooops, I didn't see this -
if anyone can tell me whre i can get a boat mint condition not a mark on the hull, a cuddy that looks like it has never been used, a full head w/shower, sink, stove, trailer ect for anywhere close to 3 grand then i am all ears.....

how do I put this, i'm a newbie to the game yet played both sides. ever hear the addage, if that's the word, 2 good days of a boat owner, buy day, sell day

to answer that quoted question........... hey, they're all over. just be patient and look. i didn't get mine for 3k, i got it for 4k, it was listed at 6k from a private seller. and it's not "everything" you said, but it's a cuddy, and it's mint, and it's 13 years old, and never seen salt til 8 weeks ago when introduced it to the Ocean.

like i think bondo said about your top, it's the same with a whole boat. only certain people are going to like your boat for sale, after they go through 3 or 4 offers the seller starts to realize they may not sell this boat very soon.

thus........... good boat is now ready for sale at not only a good price, but a GREAT price. there's better deals all over, just look.

spoken from my only true boating experience.

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have done the wrench turning, the head scratching, the looking for parts and info on the stringer, what a pain in tha A*&, ITS OBSOLETE period. but if anyone wants to by an O.M.C.(yugo) go for it!!

angie1015

Petty Officer 3rd Class

aerwin said:
I have done the wrench turning, the head scratching, the looking for parts and info on the stringer, what a pain in tha A*&, ITS OBSOLETE period. but if anyone wants to by an O.M.C.(yugo) go for it!!

have you or anyone ever been on ebay?? not trying to be wise but correct me of I am wrong but ebay as pages and pages of parts for this outdrive. also two drives complete.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Buy the darned thing, You are right, everyone telling you to avoid it is a complete idiot and they shouldn't be believed or trusted.
Personally, I think you should forget the idea. But then, I guess I'm one of those idiots also.

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ebay has a few parts for this drive, unless they are listed someware else, I havn't seen that many pages, but yes that is a good place to get parts, I just got that 350.00 shift cable used for 150.00. there are even new drives listed by a couple of firms, these are chinese reproductions is what i was told. Yes the drive does work good when everything is o.k. parts are getting harder and more expensive, unless you have selectrim there is no way to trim the drive, it has to be down at all times. and many boat mechanics won't work on them, i will getting rid of mine when I get the money to buy a different boat and I expect to take a big loss for it being an o.m.c. another decent choice would be to find a boat that has the o.m.c. cobra on it, at least with the cobra any other brand can be used with very little modification to the transom and boat itself. personally I would never buy an o.m.c. stringer/800 equiped boat, even if it was given to me, no mater the condition unless I had a complete merc or volvo-penta outdrive sitten there

Bondo

Staff member

angie1015 said:
Just put a deposit on a 1984 larson delta 25' with the nice size cabin sleeps 4 bathroom, shower, camper top the whole nine yards. the boat is in absolute mint conditon and was in fresh water its whole life. came with trailer. problem is the motor knocks so i got it for 3 grand. for some reason the boat has a 305 chevy motor. i dont know how many horses however the boat cruises at 17 mph and tops out at 25ish. not fast enough for me. I want to replace the motor with a 350/350 horse. i want to make sure that this swap will be worth my time. will this boat ever hit 40 and cruise at 30mph with a 350/350?? also its a omc outrive which i am told over and over again to stay away from. I might be wrong but i thought that an omc drive would be a ford motor but this one i think has a chevy. the firing order and the GM stamp on the intake manifold would tell me chevy. I never heard of a chevy motor and an omc drive.. could that be original? is 3 grand a good deal for an 84 larson 25' delta w/trailer?? i am new to boating . here is a link with the pic..http://www.bargainnews.com/viewad.cfm?Show_Notepad=Yes&bnAd_ID=6364981&TheDealer=

Don said:
Buy the darned thing, You are right, everyone telling you to avoid it is a complete idiot and they shouldn't be believed or trusted.
Personally, I think you should forget the idea. But then, I guess I'm one of those idiots also.

Ayuh,..............

I don't mind wasting my Time here if somebody's looking to Learn something,...........

But If I'm talking to a Tree,......... I'll just head to the Woods for That,............

I'm Outa Here................................................:/

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Well guys, we tried but it looks like we're just
beatdeadhorse5.gif

bobboater1

Seaman

2nd thoughts
these guys here are really trying to save you headaches and time/money between them they have about 40,000 posts. why ,because they know something..just do what you want to. but boats cost tons of money..its like a married. enter the marriage with much better basic's ..good brand boat. good hull, trailer , name brand motor
bob

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

some people on these boards like to take the opportunity and just rip apart any question.

Thats whats its all about...........OMC outdrives even make lousy artificial reefs.
And on the Ebay 4 dollar parts.......gee, think that tells ya something? Like NOBODY whats them even in parts?

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no body trying to rip a question, if he asked about a merc or v.p., or maybe a cobra, we would have all said "go for it" but a stringer 800? no way

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

If I see a OMC outdrive while walking down to our marina, I cross to the other side of the road until its out of sight

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I quote from my signature

"Of those who receive good advice, only the wise will profit from it." :'(