Need a schematic for the charging circuit 2015 Mercury Four Stroke 60 HP

PickyBiker

Cadet
I believe the title says what I need. A schematic for the whole engine would be nice, but the charging circuit isn't working so I would be happy just getting that part of a schematic.

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
A trip to your local library may result in the ability to view the factory "Service Manual" (not operators manual) for your engine. That manual has engine related schematics in it. Failing that, you can order a factory service manual for your engine from the dealer or perhaps on-line from Mercury. If you intend to do any work on an engine it is always best to have the factory documentation at hand. It saves you time, frustration, and most of all, money because it helps you avoid mistakes that can be very costly. Yes -- I understand the part about "free".

tommarvin

Ensign
Check every inch of wire on the charging system.
pull every connector on the end of wires, to see if there corroded and break off.
Test stator with multimeter its on youtube. Remove flywheel check the bottom and top of stator for burn marks, check all wires and connectors on the end of wires pull hard.
CDI electronic.com shows how to test ignition parts, so does youtube.
Make sure magnets are not loose on the flywheel.

PickyBiker

Cadet
Found the problem. I did not recognize the fuse box inside the engine cover. Once I opened it there was a blown 25 Amp fuse. Replaced it and the charging system is now working. Whew... Glad it wasn't something expensive!

Now here's why it happened. There are two batteries, one for the trolling motor and one for the starter. The starter motor battery died and when I took it out I noticed the cables barely reached the terminals. When I put the new battery in I turned it around to gain about 2" of free cable. I didn't stop to realize that it also swapped the polarity and I put the cables back on based on placement rather than color. That's definitely on me.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You should add a battery switch so you can choose between the two batteries without swapping cables.

Or buy more fuses. :smile: