Need a new fishfinder, opinions please...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
My old FF finally bit the dust, Eagle fishmark320, it was satisfactory. Just thought I'd check in for opinions...

Much as I'd like to have color, it looks like color units in my budget (around $200) don't have enough resolution for me. Side- & down-imaging look like lots of fun, but pretty much out of the question for now.

So, I'm lookin at your basic 5" display, 480x480 resolution, I guess 320x would be ok -- lowrance mark5x / humminbird 570

Fresh water, mostly I'm fishing for white & striped bass in 25 to 45 foot depths, using the sonar to find structure & baitfish as well as the fish I'm catching.

Couple questions...
1. Any comments/complaints about quality/reliability/durability of either brand, humminbird or lowrance? Or is either just as good as the other?

2. What about dual beam, is it worth the extra $40-$50? Nearly as I can tell from the manual, you have to turn on "fish ID" to distinguish between beams on the display?

3. Will I regret the decision not to sacrifice resolution for color?

Thanks!

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Need a new fishfinder, opinions please...

HB transducers are generally larger than others, and typically require more fine tuning of transom location/position. A transom mount board is recommended.

I have had excellent support from HB and from the numerous forums.

FWIW: HB is coming out with a 570DI in 2011. I believe the MSRP will be $299.

Marketing blurbs that have been posted:

570 DI
See more of what's down there for less. Select Humminbird 500 Series models now offer best-in-class, HD screen resolution along with picture-like Down Imaging Sonar.
Timber, rocks, even fish - watch it all take shape on crystal-clear,full-color 4.5" or 5" monochrome displays. With screens that size,it's easy to take advantage of versatile DualBeam PLUS Sonar and exclusive Humminbird SwitchFire technology. We're talking a beam sensitive enough to track a jig down to 70 feet and separate fish as close as 2.5" apart. Find your way using built-in UniMap or up theante with optional Lakemaster and Navionics cartography. Get allthis technology in a convenient in-dash mount, or use our Tilt & Swivel Disconnect Mounting System. With the 500 Series, big things are bound to happen!

5" Display
640V x 320H, 16 Level Grayscale
Down Imaging.
455kHz / 86 degrees @ -10db
800kHz / 55 degrees @ -10db
Single Beam
w/ SwitchFire.
200kHz / 20 degrees @ -10db
Depth: 250ft (DI), 1000 ft
2400 W (PTP), 300 W (RMS)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/imonem/570DI_Straight.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

that looks almost scary good......

But, I been told Academy has a killer price on eagle fishmark480's if there's any left, and now basspro has a "black Friday" add showing fishElite 480 for $230 (sonar + gps), that's gonna be hard to pass up.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

basspro has a "black Friday" add showing fishElite 480 for $230 (sonar + gps), that's gonna be hard to pass up.

Thinking about that one myself

sasto

Captain

I lost the best fishfinder I ever had, my Golden, Regal. I swear that dog knew more about locating fish than me and the finder together.

I'm also looking into one of that type and will be folowing....and let you guys do the shopping for me. :) Gotta love it!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Before his arthritis got too bad, my big yella hound Dusty used to get kind of excited sometimes, looking down into the water, just before a big cloud of bait showed up on the screen...if he coulda told me the depth, I wouldn't of needed any electronics...

I have a lot of confidence in the Eagle & Lowrance brands. Not so much in humminbird, but can't speak recent from recent experience with them.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I put a brand new Hummingbird unit in my last boat about a year before I sold it. The rubber for the buttons was too stiff so they would "stick" as though you left your finger on them. I was not impressed. Wouldn't read depth accurately below about 4 or 5 feet either (though that could have been some kind of calibration thing I didn't know how to do).

sasto

Captain

I am unable to locate that Hummingbird at Bass Pro on sale Black Friday. Any updates as to where to find one at that price.

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They also have a Cuda 350 with gps and built in maps...it is a smaller screen though but its only 149

sasto

Captain

look here for "Eagle FishElite"
http://www.black-friday.net/bassproshops-ad-scan.html

"Eagle" is a Lowrance brand

that garmin 60csx GPS at $220 looks like a bargain, too.

WOW....Thanks JTexas...I believe that unit will fill my needs for reading the bottom and marking the many submerged sandbars and debris around some unfamiluar newly discovered fishing grounds..:D

tavares

Cadet

More of a question than reply...does the Eagle Fishelite 480 - or the Cuda 350 for that matter have a decent basemap? It it just inland, coastal, or both. I've looked at Eagle/Lowrance before and I think they had coastal basemaps, but nothing inland. Right now I don't need lots of detail, but would like the basic lake outline if nothing else. If I have to part with another $150 for a Navionics card, I'm getting close to a small color unit that will give me inland AND coastal areas. ...for now I'd like to at least what I had with my old Eagle Status

jonesg

Admiral

I bought an Eagle 500i
internal maps are useless so you need a card.
Look for cards on ebay or craigslist.
Its ok but too many bells and whistles for me, over 200 page instruction book.

In retrospect I would go with garmin, better support and they have instructional DVD's that makes getting started a lot simpler.