Navionics app vs Active Captain app

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have both Navionics app vs Active Captain app on my Android phone. Navionics has increased the US and Canada maps price to $49 annual subscription from $20~. I need to keep Active Captain app for my Garmin devices. I'm ready to drop Navionics due to the subscription price increase.

My ECHOMAP UHD2 73sv have US Lakes and Rivers as I spent 95% of time in those places. Both phone apps have Lakes and Rivers as well as Gulf and Atlantic charts. I'm in Florida so could very easily be in either waters although we spend only a single week(end) in the Gulf. Both phone apps works well for that week.

Anyone else have any advice or experience with either or both apps? Is keeping Navionics worth the additional $49 considering Active Captain appears to be required for my Garmin device updates and a subscription renewal for maps is required on the anniversary date of the 73sv purchase?

TIA,

Jim

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Anyone else have any advice or experience with either or both apps? Is keeping Navionics worth the additional $49 considering Active Captain appears to be required for my Garmin device updates and a subscription renewal for maps is required on the anniversary date of the 73sv purchase?
Let me start by saying I don't do apps given I have 2- 9" chart recorders and that cell phone coverage is "iffy" at best in my primary boating area.

Having said that, $5 min-SD chip gets rid of the need for Active Captain

Most most marine maps go years between critical updates
I typically go 4-5 years between map updates.

Here is the list of map updates searchable by date:

If you want to check the revision level of an existing chart you can go here: