Navigation lights wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

river_bouy

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,
I am having problems with my NAV lights not turning on. I basically just want to understand the wiring as my electronics is not great.

I have a fuse block under the dash that connects to some switches for my accessories. Most of these accessories are single unit devices (eg. radio, fish finder). However, I am not sure how the one switch operates all three of my nav lights?

Do you just splice the red positive wire from the switch and run it to the three lights and also splice the black negative wires back into one wire and connect that to the fuse block?

Thanks in advance.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Navigation lights wiring

Every nav light switch I have had is a center off double throw switch. Usually a rocker switch that turns on the bow (navigation) lights in one direction and the stern (anchor) light in the other direction. In the center position, everything is off. You would never be running your navigation and anchor lights at the same time.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the NAV/ANC switch has six terminals, wiring is like this:

NavSwitchWiring.jpg

If the NAV/ANC switch has three terminals, wiring is like this:

Nav-AnchorSwitch.jpg

The anchor light is supposed to be on ONLY when at anchor. If the boat is moving, BOTH NAV and ANCHOR lights are on.

river_bouy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys.
I'm in Australia so regulations might be different. I have a simple on/off switch that turns on the port and starboard light and an all-round white lite on the bow.

I can see in the link you posted springhead that the side lights are wired in parallel. So by splicing the red/black wire from the switch and then running two seperate connections to the side lights should work right?

If two side lights in parallel that would just reduce the current by half?

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Two lights in parallel does not reduce anything. You will have 12V at each light and current (amps) in each branch will be whatever that light draws (which will be about 1/2 amp or less).

ajumper1

Recruit

Three years later...still helps. Thanks guys...was beating my head on boat! I am no electrician, but I learned something today!
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.