Nauticus SX Smart Tab's? How do they work?

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Im considering buying Nauticus SX Smart Tab's from Iboats, ive seen them on other runabout, just not to sure on how they work? They claim more topend, better holeshot, better handling? These are not automatic, right? Are they manual trim tabs? Any reveiws or helpful information on these would help (on runabouts)

eavega

Lieutenant
I had a set on my old 15' tri-hull bowrider. Originally the boat had a 50 HP outboard with no PTT. I was having a very hard time getting out of the hole, especially if I had more than 2 people in the boat. Tow sports were out of the question. I was already propped down about as low as I could go on this boat, so to add some stern lift, I went with the Nauticus tabs.
Installation was a piece of cake, took all of about an hour, and most of that was measuring and marking. With the added stern lift, the boat had no problems getting out of the hole if lightly loaded, and provided additional lift for towing a tube if we were so inclined. In my opinion it really helped out.
Now, the real beauty of the trim tabs came when I blew out the 50 HP, and upgraded to a 70 HP. Now, you could really tell that the boat performed great; quick out of the hole, held plane at much lower speeds, and without affecting maneuverability.
They are manually set as to the amount of initial resistance they will provide (there are four setting holes IIRC). When the boat is moving slow, they push down harder on the water giving more lift. As you speed up, the gas actuators start compressing which allow the tabs to flatten out and provide planing surface without increasing drag. In my opinion they are the better solution to planing problems than a Whale Tale (another common solution to help get up on plane) because they react to the amount of pressure being applied against them, so they are providing the right amount of lift for a given speed. A whale tale helps in the same way if you are going straight, but the minute you crank the helm you now have an odd-angle "wing" that in my opinion messes with your ability to turn.
I would highly recommend them if you are looking to get on plane faster and hold plane at a lower speed. I have also heard that they help with boats that have a tendency to porpoise. I didn't have that problem so I can't speak to that In any case, the Nauticus SX smart tabs are a great product.

Rgds

-E

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
They work great as stated and do help woth porpoising .

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I love mine. They help with chine walking a great deal, and addition to the other problems mentioned.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for my feedback, Im going to try my boat without them, I fear because it is such a small hull, it wont stay in plane very easy.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
What boat do you have and what issues are you trying to correct by using the tabs? Yes the tabs you're looking at are auto. I bought them because I have a heavy stern in my boat and wanted the added lift.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Love em. Biggest praise would be how at a much slower speed I come up to plane and how much softer the ride is in chop or crossing wakes.

Rick

Last edited:

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I like what the smart Tabs have done for my 21' bowrider with a 4.3L I/O. Quicker to plane and easier to stay on plane at a slower speed. It really helps with wakeboarding. When at a no wake speed, it also helps to stop the anaconda effect.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Watermann, I and guessing Il have trouble with the stern lift, il have alot of weight back their. I just really want to plane easier and stay on plane at lower speeds. Do you think I should get a size small than I normally should, people have told me this?

Watermann

For sizing I think you should get your tabs based on the Nauticus recommendations. They will do everything stated and then some. You will be amazed with the changes. They will however not make your boat go faster at the top end as any tab will cause drag to create the lift.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Contact Greg at Nauticus. He will help you determine the best size for your boat. He told me what to order and it was not what the little website calculator suggested.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I lost about 2 mph, but given the problems I had with chine walking, I couldn't get to the top end anyway. Once you're up on plane, they really don't seem to create much drag.

Watermann

Yeah at the most 2 mph off the top end but most people don't run around at WOT so what you'll notice is the improved low speed plane and handling.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I may have lost some, had to really look for it though, as I spend so little time at WOT. In fact, only time I spend at WOT is popping a skier up or testing to see how the boat performs at WOT. Have to agree with Watermann.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Chris have you run the boat yet ?
I have them . I got them to help with porpoising . It helped some bit did not eliminate all of it . Ended up my transom did not have enough angle to get the required down trim on the motor . I installed transom wedges and that fixed the problem ..
It does jump right up on plane and at slower speeds . I think the only draw back is it feels kinda funky on following sea's .triming up some helps with that . Like the rest I probably lost a couple mph at top end ..