NADA guide for Whaler Outrage!

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking at a 18' Whaler Outrage, with a Yamaha 150, on a EZ Load trailer (all 1988). The average price at NADA for the 1989 is $6340.00 for the boat and motor I figure a grand for the trailer and that makes it $7340.00. I figure it should sell for about $9000.00. The asking price is $11750.00. The package is in excellent condition. My question is how do the NADA prices figure into what I should pay for a boat?

page62

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: NADA guide for Whaler Outrage!

You can get a second opinion on a boat's value at www.bucvalu.com <br /><br />How much you should pay for a boat all depends on what it's worth to you. Unless you're getting a loan -- then it has to be within NADA values.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mako, I would not hesitate to pay $12,000 for an '89 Outrage 18 in top shape with a Yammy 150, on an EZloader. I am amazed that the nada price is so low. Did you look up the boat and the motor seperately? Around here that package starts asking 14 to 16 grand. A new rig to those specs would run you well into the upper thirties and on a Whaler age is irrelevant. . . only condition matters.<br /><br />I'm going to do a little research and get back to you.<br /><br />JB
smile.gif

JB

Howdy, Mako. Without knowing what options the boat has on it I come up with an average of about $9,000 for boat (with common options), motor and galvanized 18' trailer with spare. If that is average, then $12,000 sounds reasonable for a better than average package, but the offer probably shouldn't be over $11,000 if you don't have to worry about qualifying it for a loan. If you do, then your banker may end up dictating the terms.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

Classic Glass

Recruit

There are two guides commonly used in valuing a boat. Buyers most often use NADA because the values are lower. The Buc Book (the book boat brokers use in valuing a boat)have prices set much higher. Check it out yourself using your Whaler Outrage. Go to both www.nada.com and www.buc.com and see how wildly different the values are.<br /><br />Bill

JB

Hey, Mako. Glad this thread came back up. I was casually reviewing my collection of Whaler brochures the other day and made an astounding discovery. There were at least two, maybe three very different Outrage 18s offered in the '80s. Though some specs seem the same, the '88 weighs almost 500lb
eek.gif
more than the '83 I loved so dearly (1700 vs 1250lb). The current Outrage 17 weighs 1700lb. All are rated at 150hp and within 6" of the same length. All other things being equal there is no question that I would seek a 1250lb Outrage 18. I would have taken that boat anywhere, including the Bering Sea.
eek.gif
Hmmm. I take that back. I wouldn't take the QE II into the Bering Sea. Some things are daring, others just dumb.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Compared the prices and there is about a $3000.00 difference between NADA and Bucvalu. Like page said it depends what it is worth to me. Anyways that Outrage I was looking at is gone. I also looked at several Montauks and the boats were all decent but the motors and trailers left much to be desired. Still searching for a decent deal, never seen it so tough here in RI.

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm still thinking about a 1990 wahoo I can get for hopefully less than $6000.00. The guy said it is made by some former Whaler builders and started their own company. Is this true? The hull looks like a whaler to me. The boat has a walkthrough windshield, I kinda like the setup. The boat seems very solid and the trailer is nice, the Evinrude 140 has some flaky paint but runs ok. If I cant find something in the Swapper in the morning I may make an offer on the Wahoo. Just kinda skeptical about the motor! Thanks for the input!