Myth Busters

jp10

Seaman
Hello all,

New member and boater here. 1 season under my belt. I am a member of several auto forums and find the info sharing to be invaluable. I am now a member of this forum and Hull Truth. My ride is a 2006 Azure AZ-210 deck boat with Yamaha HPDI Z175 o/b. Perfect boat, I believe, for my needs. It's my first and only, so I guess it's perfect, till' my next boat is.
I have seen this topic touched upon but never a resolute conclusion posted. That is...
Swapping out an ECU of a same block, different HP model, to gain performance. In my case, the Yamaha 2005 2.6 L block, 2 stroke. I firmly bleieve a gain can safely be made, the biggest gain of course, would take a 150 to a 200. Now, I know a full 50 hp won't be realized, but it should be noticable. I would be going from a 175 to a 200 ECU. Maybe not by seat of the pants, but by using gauges, I should be able to record a diffference and thus put this myth to rest.

To my new, invaluable, sharing friends, I am confident of this mod, but not $1150 for a new ECU confident. I am requesting a used 200 HPDI ECU for testing purposes, part # 68F-8591A-G0-00. I, of course, will pay a reasonable amout for the ECU. I will also publish my data so we will all know once and for all. Assuming the Yamaha Men in Black don't silence me first.

Thoughts, advice, warnings?
-JP

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Myth Busters

99-2003 used a single injector driver,04 and up used a duel driver.
only way your gonna hit this is to check the intake and ex ports,check the block part numbers, check the injector part numbers, the ex tuner part numbers,the ECU and driver part numbers.
High Pressure Direct Injection uses,2.6l blocks, a 625 PSI fuel rail. fuel is sprayed into the combustion chamber AFTER the piston has come towards the head far enough to close off both the air intake and the ex ports.
this does not give much piston travel to inject the fuel,light the fire and make some power.
if you make a mistake in your parts you will find out how much pistons cost.