Mysterious hole i carb..... W/pic

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Guys
I got this Yamaha 20 HP 1987, model number 6A9 S 015970. (pic 1) - The engine has been running great but then one day when i had to go out on the lake it began to smell of fuel..... i took the hood of and could see that fuel was coming pouring out a mysterious hole on top of the carb. I then tried to block the hole but then the engine was running like it was on choke all the time.
I have tried to look at the diagrams on the internet but can't figure out if the hole has to be blocked of if there has to be some kind of jet or plug in it.
I have taken som pictures of the carb...
Pic1: Numberplate on engine
Pic2: The mysterious hole close up
Pic3: Number on the carb.
Pic4: Carb seen from the side.
Pic5: Carb inverted and the hole is in the float and the passage goes to the mysterious hole.

Hope some one has an clue of what to do with the hole.

Jannik

Attachments

• Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 0
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 0

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mysterious hole i carb..... W/pic

I am not very familiar with your particular outboard, Jannick, but I am very familiar with small outboards in general.

I suspect that the carb float needle is not shutting off fuel flow into the carb when the float chamber is full. Could be the needle, the seat or the float itself.

Good luck. :)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I agree with JB, probably just some trash in the needle and seat not allowing it to seal off properly causing carb to over fill and fuel to come out of the bowl vent. There should not be anything that goes into that hole as it is just a vent

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys...
When i cleaned the carb yesterday i noticed that the needle didn't close proberly..... I will take i apart again and try to clean it again.
I was just wanted to have some opinions on the hole.
Thanks again.

Jannik