My Suzuki dies when I put it into gear

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a an '89 Suzuki DT 200. Lately I have been having this issue where I will start up the motor but it dies when I try to put it into gear. After a while it will work just fine and it runs like a scalded dog. But it can make for a hairy situation when I am up against the wind and I am trying to put this thing into gear to get the heck out of dodge. I am thinking I will need to decarb it for starters, but is there anything else I need to do other than that? :(

summers1996

Seaman Apprentice
Re: My Suzuki dies when I put it into gear

Did your boat set a while and then this started happining? If so... Is your gas old?, Was it winterized? Sounds like possible gummed up carb jets. Had the same problem on my 89. I wouldnt do any adjusting on the carbs (will probably run worse) before cleaning the jets. I would also check your throttle and choke valves to make sure they are working properly.

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually this boat has seen almost no downtime. I have used it non-stop this winter, with no more than 1 week of not using it :D :D (I love Texas). I went out last yesterday after work and darn thing worked like a champ. But I still plan on cleaning out the carbs as suggested and decarbing it.

zooza1

Cadet

what is decarbing? just wondering ,mine might need it!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Decarb is short for "decarboning" which is the process of removing carbon build up. The process used a product like SeaFoam in a very rich mixture. The process is covered in many articles on this forum. Just search for "Decarb Procedure". Alert your neighbors before you do this because it makes a lot of smoke. You should also "rebuild" the carbs rather than just removing the float bowls. That's not where the problem lies. Clogged jets, varnish build up and other crud plugs up passages. The carbs need to be totally disassembled, soaked in carb cleaner (except for plastic parts), every passage and jet made squeaky clean and then reassemble them with new kits. Continuing to use SeaFoam in the recommended amounts will help eliminate future problems like this.