My skag is broke....

ditchell

Recruit
.....and my husband thinks he can 'fab' a new one. I came into this marriage with my boat....the boat stays :) !
I've called around to boat stores/service and of course they say no to the fabrication. But is it possible? Any suggestions?

gshldon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My skag is broke....

there are replacement skegs you can buy as long as you have some room left to bolt it on. I got mine at cabelas and they cost around $125. You can also look on the net for them as well,

Good luck

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

It is possible but not worth it.You would still need someone to weld it on.Most propeller shops have replacement skegs and the right welding equipment to install like new.I had one done for $160 and it looks perfect.You can't even tell it is a replacement.If you have someone to weld one on you can buy them on line for $25-$45.Just do a search for Replacement Skegs.There are several out there.

Bondo

Staff member

and my husband thinks he can 'fab' a new one.

Ayuh,... I guess it depends on just how Handy he is,..... Welcome Aboard...

Skeg-gard is sort of a replacement for busted skegs,...
Truth is,...
You really don't need it til you run Aground....;)

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

If this guy finds out that the skeg is just for protecting the propeller, he'll never replace it.
Then the stainless steel propeller (if equipped) will chew up some boulders, tear out the lower unit of the sterndrive and she'll hear, "Stupid boat."

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just go get a new one welded on. It's the easy, cheap, quick way to do it right.

45Auto

Commander

It's pretty easy to do if you have the tools. This thread shows the broken skeg repair I did on my boat:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=282896&highlight=skeg

Biggest thing is to either pull the guts out of the outdrive before welding or keep it cool somehow.

I still have the cooling plate I made to weld mine. If yours is a Bravo 2 or 3, it'll bolt right up. Then all you need is the replacement skeg and about any welding shop.

PM me if you want to borrow it.

Ocean 22

Seaman Apprentice

there is a company called SKEGUARD that makes a replacement skeg which fits over the broken skeg. i broke the skeg on my Volvo SX drive, and it was the easiest most cost effective solution. they are made of stainless steel, and all you do is fit it over the broken skeg and drill two holes to secure it. i have had it on there for two years and no problems. try it it is worth it.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

there is a company called SKEGUARD that makes a replacement skeg which fits over the broken skeg. i broke the skeg on my Volvo SX drive, and it was the easiest most cost effective solution. they are made of stainless steel, and all you do is fit it over the broken skeg and drill two holes to secure it. i have had it on there for two years and no problems. try it it is worth it.

Ditto. I nailed a submerged log in the Ohio River during the seatrail before buying the boat. The PO was not happy but I still bought it !