My Opening Day Was Today

CATransplant

Admiral
I always skip the weekend opener. Too many boats. Too many amateurs at the ramp. With that said, I made a bonehead error today at the ramp at my favorite north east metro lake, a few miles north of St. Paul, MN.

I prefer launching on the right side of the ramp at that lake, since I keep my rods in vertical rod holders on the port side of the boat. Well, today, there was someone who looked like he'd be a long time getting launched, so I backed down the right side. No problems...until I stepped into the boat to start the outboard and get ready to get underway.

Well, the rods were still in the vertical holders, and I managed to brush the one with the Rapala Clacking Rap hooked to the first guide. Oops!

The Clacking Rap uses a hook with one hook on the treble being very large and sticking out farther than the others. That hook imbedded itself deeply into the outside of my forearm. Didn't hurt that much, but I was instantly aware that I needed to stop right away and think this through. Way past the barb the hook went.

After some thought, I realized that I couldn't really see the hook, since my forearm was still attached to the rod and that Clacking Rap. What to do?

I reached around and felt the hook, and realized that it was buried to the beginning of the bend in the hook. I thought some more. Then, I used thumb and forefinger to grasp the bend in the hook, and quickly rotated it back out of the wound, just as it had gone in.

It didn't really hurt, since there aren't a lot of nerves in that part of the forearm, but it bled quite a bit. Fortunately, I have a nifty little first aid kit in the boat, and a bit of antiseptic cream and a Bandaid took care of the problem pretty well.

Fishing? Well, I wasn't going to let a little hook wound slow down my day. I caught a pile of bass while fishing for Northerns, and released them all without even taking them out of the water, since the bass season doesn't start for another couple of weeks.

I had good success with a Booyah Mini Shad spinnerbait and tried out the new flat rap, in yellow perch color. The only thing I caught with it was a 12" perch...the largest I've ever caught on that lake. I guess cannibalism is OK with perch.

There's some bruising on the forearm this evening, but it still doesn't hurt. It'll heal just fine, since the lure was fresh out of the box.

Folks: Put a first aid kit in your boat, and always stop if you get hooked, then reason out how to remove the hook with the least amount of damage. There's no rush, and it's usually pretty easy to figure out how to take it out the way it came in. We do it all the time when unhooking fish. Same principle.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer
Re: My Opening Day Was Today

Ouch...glad to hear it wasn't too bad, though. Which NE lake do you fish in St. Paul. Used to live in the Twin Cities. Miss the lake access. I have to drive an hour to hour and a half now to get to a decent lake that I could put my 14 footer in.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Glad yer OK Cat.

Last year I got hooked nicely myself- funny story; takes longer to tell it than the 20 seconds it actually lasted. I had two lines out the starboard that got tangled- pulled the shorter one up to the lure, grabbed the 11 Shadrap, and started untangling the hooks... then what was probably a really nice walleye took the other lure which was still in the water. You guessed it- all three trebles got me - two with more than one barb.

The fish put up a really decent fight- good thing it wasn't a smallmouth that heavy. It was thumping and digging, swimming port then starboard, all the while I couldn't get the line. The skin was stretching unbelievably.

I finally wrapped the lure in a tight fist with the impaled hand, and started to "fight" the fish- and that was one "early release" I was glad to see! I was going to quickly yank the lure out of the water now that the "emergency" had ended when I noticed two of the barbs had come out. I looked, and lo and behold the fish on the other line had stretched the holes in my skin so much that basically the remaining barbs came right out almost pain free.

I cut tangled lines now, hand-over-hand them in, and retie. I don't try to "save" the lines with one lure in the water anymore!!

Agreed- first aid kit should be in the boat, not the tow vehicle.

CATransplant

Admiral

Ouch...glad to hear it wasn't too bad, though. Which NE lake do you fish in St. Paul. Used to live in the Twin Cities. Miss the lake access. I have to drive an hour to hour and a half now to get to a decent lake that I could put my 14 footer in.

My favorite lake is Bald Eagle, just north of White Bear Lake. It's about 1200 acres, and has a wide variety of structure. There are supposed to be walleyes in it, but I've never caught one or seen anyone else catch one. It's a great bass lake, though, and has some nice northern pike, too, along with some really decent muskies. It's also full of eating-sized panfish, from sunnies and crappies to perch. I don't eat them, but the game fish in the lake sure do, and get fat and sassy.

Best of all, the lake is pretty quiet during the week, especially in the morning. It livens up on summer afternoons, though, when the folks in the many houses around the lake get out and start playing water sports.

Lots of wildlife on and around the lake, too. It's just a nice lake to be on in a small boat.

CrappieMagnet

Seaman Apprentice

I used to fish Bald Eagle quite a few years back.Some BIG Muskies in that lake especially waiting till late fall to catch them.A big plus for that lake is that it doesn't get overwhelmed with fishermen like White Bear Lake does.I like to fish Minnetonka this time of year....granted there is a lot of recreational boats out there but with so mant bays in the lake there's always a place to hide from them.

CATransplant

Admiral

Minnetonka's a little far for me to go. There are so many small lakes within a half hour drive from my home that I'm just not motivated to run over to the western metro.

CrappieMagnet

Seaman Apprentice

I hear yah....I usually just head up to my camper in NW Wisconsin near the Frederic/Siren area.My buddy owns the campground in Clam Falls.There's about a 1000 lakes to fish just a half hour drive from the campgrounds.

If you ever get over my way and want to fish Minnetonka some day...Look me up.I know the lake like the back of my hand.:D

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

My favorite lake is Bald Eagle, just north of White Bear Lake. It's about 1200 acres, and has a wide variety of structure. There are supposed to be walleyes in it, but I've never caught one or seen anyone else catch one. It's a great bass lake, though, and has some nice northern pike, too, along with some really decent muskies. It's also full of eating-sized panfish, from sunnies and crappies to perch. I don't eat them, but the game fish in the lake sure do, and get fat and sassy.

Best of all, the lake is pretty quiet during the week, especially in the morning. It livens up on summer afternoons, though, when the folks in the many houses around the lake get out and start playing water sports.

Lots of wildlife on and around the lake, too. It's just a nice lake to be on in a small boat.

Funny...that was my favorite lake to fish around the twin cities as well. I've never caught a huge northern, but at the same time nothing smaller that 24 inches. The bass action was good too. I was never crazy about fishing Minnetonka...great in the morning, but once all the recreational boaters came out, just too hard to fish the lake in a small boat.

John_S

Rear Admiral

At least you were able to get it out. Last May, fishing a new to me res, ended up with a pointer 100 treble in my left palm and shaking slime dart still attached to the other hook. After carefully getting the fish off, then the lure, the hook would not come out. The back of the barb was caught on something hard. Fished for a while but got a throbbing, and couldn't stop tweaking it against something. Had to use the gps to find the nearest hospital. After an 1 1/2 hour wait the doc was able to get it out by using small scalple. Bandaged up, and went back fishing. Lost over 2 hours of fishing time. :( The two guys that were with me, call me Capt. Hook now. :D

Shizzy

Ensign

I went to a small west metro lake that has NO Walleye polulation and a very shallow launch. all I wanted to do was toss out a jig under a bobber. Saturday and Sunday there were only 2-3 boats total on the lake but Tuesday there were at least ten.

Did quite well, caught and tossed back a few dozen Sunnies.

BTW, I do have my trusty first aid kit on the boat at all times..... :)