My next table project

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Old floor wood scraps from a house that was built in 1996. Been in the barn since and he's letting me cull whatever he's got out there.

Done some work with the planer and this a very rough layout of what I've got to work with.

1715003495350.png

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
plan to glue to the oak plywood that it is sitting on. then a coat of clear epoxy to fill in knots, worm trails, etc but then same back to wood and do a traditional paste wax finish.

not sure on edgework, have some rough sawn cherry out there as well as old school oak.

need to reset to ensure good staggering of joints i think i'll number each piece then i can reassemble in correct order.

base tbd

He's letting me build in his empty house (was moms she passed about 10 years ago) so i can just pop over and work as i wish so that is nice.

briangcc

Commander
Just spitballin here...but some black walnut would look nice to edge it. This based off some of the darker wood grain in some of the planks.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Just spitballin here...but some black walnut would look nice to edge it. This based off some of the darker wood grain in some of the planks.
I've got a bunch of that was well only thing is I'd have to built up a router sled to get one side good to plane. Not a huge deal we'll see.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Actually just hit me I can screw the walnut to a 2x pine from the store to get first side flat usune the planer. Can't believe I've not thought of that. I've done to get a strait edge on table saw...

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you may be too wide to run thru a standard planer.

I have used a floor sander to level a similar project in the past

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Whole project, yes I would need to built the sled like I did for my last one but the pine is good enough as I'm just cleaning up and the walnut is live edge which I would take off to get thru my 12". Plus on this one won't mind more of a rustic look like my oak bartop. Last one was made to be high dollar style and is now sitting in a million dollar home.

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
plan to glue to the oak plywood that it is sitting on. then a coat of clear epoxy to fill in knots, worm trails, etc but then same back to wood and do a traditional paste wax finish.

not sure on edgework, have some rough sawn cherry out there as well as old school oak.

need to reset to ensure good staggering of joints i think i'll number each piece then i can reassemble in correct order.

base tbd

He's letting me build in his empty house (was moms she passed about 10 years ago) so i can just pop over and work as i wish so that is nice.
This is cherry on quarter sawn oak. Its a nice subtle contrast, not drastic

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240507_065548_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240507_065548_Gallery.jpg
    997.4 KB · Views: 3

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Actually just hit me I can screw the walnut to a 2x pine from the store to get first side flat usune the planer. Can't believe I've not thought of that. I've done to get a strait edge on table saw...
Make a sled for the planer. Place board cup side up. Level and shim all edges to make it solid, then run through planer (thin passes). Once that side is flat you can run the other side through normally

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I've not used cherry before so I'll plane a piece and see what it looks like.

The 2x will be my sled. The walnut is cupped and twisted. Just a cup like the oak I start cup side down.

Last edited: