My new old boat..Oil has H2O

TheWarrior71

Recruit
I just acquired a 21 ft. Sea Ray with white oil. The compression test shows 135, 145, 140 and 120. The motor is a 165 i/o and has had white oil for "a while". Beleive it or not, the motor started, much to my surprise on 3 cylinders while testing #4. I think I can save it but do not know from where the water came. I will change the oil and see if it clears but, what damage could have been done. A friend that knows the boat said the motor runs but I should "swap it". I am back in the water, or at least on the trailer after 13 years in dry dock. I feel like a newbie and would appreciate anyy help.

uaw9fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My new old boat..Oil has H2O

First of all,
A compression test requires all spark plugs to be removed, coil wire grounded, throttle wide open.
White oil for "a while" doesn't sound like a good thing as the bearings will be eaten by the water in the oil.Get it changed soon.
Only you or the previous owner know where the water came from.
Look around the inside of the boat for a water line(sinking). Did the boat come from a cold climate(freezing). Was the boat run in saltwater(exhaust corroded)

horsefly38425

Petty Officer 1st Class

when you say white do you mean like grey/white or chunky/white like pancake mix ? the frist you my be ok /the pancake mix:'(

freddyray21

Commander

If it sat for that many years I could very well have developed condensation in the motor. I would change the oil and run it. Check it for water. Change it again and run it. If you still see water look for the source. If not run it and see. I would keep a very close eye on it though. Two or three oil changes at least. Change the filter each time also. If you don't the water trapped in the filter will make it look like you are getting fresh water in when you are not. Fred

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

Fred, Maybe this will help, credit author:
Water in Engine

Important Information

IMPORTANT: First determine location of water in engine. This information can be of great help when trying to determine where the water came from and how it got into the engine. The three most common problems are "water on top of pistons, water in crankcase oil, water in crankcase oil and on top of pistons."

The first step, after locating water, is to remove all the water from the engine by removing all spark plugs and pumping cylinders out by cranking engine over. Next change oil and filter. Now, start engine and see if problem can be duplicated. If problem can be duplicated, there more than likely is a mechanical problem. If the problem cannot be duplicated, the problem is either an operator error or a problem that exists only under certain environmental conditions. If water is contained to cylinder(s) only, it is usually entering through the intake system, exhaust system, or head gasket.

If the water is contained to crankcase only, it is usually caused by a cracked or porous block, a flooded bilge, or condensation.

If the water is located in both the cylinder(s) and the crankcase, it is usually caused by water in the cylinders getting past the rings and valves, or complete submersion.

Checking for rust in the intake manifold or exhaust manifolds is a good idea. Rust in these areas will give clues if the water entered these areas.

Water In Crankcase

1. Water in boat bilge
Boat has been submerged or bilge water was
high enough to run in through dipstick tube

2. Water seeping past piston ring or valves
Refer to "Water in Engine" ("On Top of Pistons")

3. Engine running cold
Defective thermostat, missing thermostat;
prolonged idling in cold water

4. Intake manifold leaking near a water passage
Loose or cracked intake
Bad intake gasket
Corroded head or intake

5. Cracked or porous casting
Check cylinder head, cylinder block, cylinder walls,
and intake manifold

6. Valve cover cap or breather missing, ( only gets water when it rains)

Water On Top Pistons

1. Operator shut engine off at high RPM (at or above planning speed)

2. Engine "diesels" or tries to run backwards
Engine out of tune, poor fuel, high idle RPM,
timing set too high, intake leak

3. Rain water running into flame arrestor
Hatch cover leaking or left open

4. Spark plug misfiring
Improper combustion causes moisture in the
air to accumulate in the cylinder

5. Backwash through the exhaust system

6. Improper engine or exhaust hose installation
(water coming back up exhaust)
Boat overloaded or filled with water

7. Cracked exhaust manifold

8. Improper manifold to elbow gasket installation

9. Loose cylinder head bolts

10. Blown cylinder head gasket
Check for warped cylinder head or cylinder block

11. Cracked Valve seat ( drawing water from exhaust when running)

12. Porous or cracked casting
Check cylinder heads, cylinder block, and intake manifold

George Van Parys