My new $3000 boat :)

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: My new $3000 boat :)

Looks like a great find for $3000! I'm hoping to look for a new boat in the spring in that price range, and I hope I can find one in as nice shape as that.

blk98gt

Seaman

Looks like a great find for $3000! I'm hoping to look for a new boat in the spring in that price range, and I hope I can find one in as nice shape as that.
It was a fall price a guy gave me. Came down from $3900. Said he was tired of just taking people for a ride around his lake.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It does look well cared for, I see you are launching at the Chain O Lakes state park, the seaweed, crappy docks and sticker all tipped me off.
Enjoy that, been once and sure not my scene.

blk98gt

Seaman

It's a very good guess but the pictures were taken on crystal lake. Not far off. Where do you usually go? Fox river and the chain is all I know out side of wisconsin
I was also thinking of hitting the chicago river off the new ramp on the south branch.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a good buy. Nice boat for the family/tubing/fishing. Nice that you picked it up while you can still get a little use out of it.

Have Fun!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Boat looks great! What motor is that? If it's a Merc 470, do a little research as some special preventative maintenance may be required to help you keep it running well.

blk98gt

Seaman

Merc 165 4 cyl. Any info on it or a good source to read about it? Guy told me it was a 165 but the manual he gave me is for 170 and 190. Wonder if it is a 170.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If it is indeed a 4 cyl, then you've got yourself a 470.

Philster

Captain

Just be informed if it is a 470:

The 470 is a Mercrusier-only design. It's a Mercrusier block with a Ford 460 head. It's a peppy little engine that's pretty good on fuel. However they do have some problems you need to be aware of. The alternator system has problems and might need to be replaced (cheaper) with conversion kit if you have room in the engine compartment. Watercooled voltage regulator are expensive (the 470 has this, right?) . Also the cam-driven water pump leaks... but can be repaired.

Again, knowing the problems helps you fend them off. I like the looks of your boat.

Watch, you might get beat up a bit if she is the 470. But stick it out and learn about the flaws. Not everyone's favorite engine design by ANY means, but doesn't mean it's not a good deal.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Phil there's also the whole 3"/4" cooling system issue I believe. You do NOT want to let this motor get hot!

Philster

Captain

Oh yeah... I've read a number of complaints about them running hot, and there are a number of guys who swear that it's better to underprop them and not even come close to lugging them. Seems a little underpropping helps keep the heat down. When they strain under a lot of load, they heat up.

Of course it's up to the operator not to over rev it, if it is underpropped.

CHAWK46

Seaman Apprentice

You guys keep ragging on the 470. I sold mine 2 years ago after 22 years. Only problems I had were the water pump seal which I replaced myself and new bellows which I also replaced.

Just make sure you drain the heat exchanger good. I also disconected the cooling hoses on the front of the engine.

I thought it was a great engine. Just maintain it.

scca vette

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to say from looking at the photos that you did good for 3K. I had never heard of that style boat either however it is a GOOD looking boat. Even if the 470 gives you problems I would say you are cheap enough into the boat it is worth putting a motor in (worse case).

Philster

Captain

You guys keep ragging on the 470. I sold mine 2 years ago after 22 years. Only problems I had were the water pump seal which I replaced myself and new bellows which I also replaced.

Just make sure you drain the heat exchanger good. I also disconected the cooling hoses on the front of the engine.

I thought it was a great engine. Just maintain it.

::SIGH::

We're helping. No one is beating it up. We'd be remiss if we didn't point things out. Every user experience will be different, but we have to point out things that are well known.

Information will ensure happier boating.