My Merc 1500 Gearbox Help..

sourbsted

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi everyone, This has to be by far the best boating forum. I love it :)

I recently replaced my gearbox after the oldone seized and snapped the drive shaft. So i went to my local outboard machanic and bought a second hand unit. Now the boat appears to go a LOT HARDER and changes gears smoother. But when i got the boat home i checked the gear oil and it was blackish like it was old. The machanic said he changed it.. Maybe he didn't change it properly?? Who knows i will change myself then. But what i did notice is that at very low rev's when i am moving slowly there is a tinny noise coming from the motor? Very faint maybe its nothing cause the motor is fully reconditioned.. If i drain the oil out of the box and their isnt any metal then i suppose it should be ok then right?

Any advice appreciated

Laddies

Banned
Re: My Merc 1500 Gearbox Help..

It sounds like the lower unit is fine, once in a while the flex plate on the flywheel will crack and can make a tinny noise or even a clunking sound

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sour, If that motor has a distributor, check the dist pulley cover for looseness. On my 1500, I needed to put locktight on the screw to keep it from loosening up and rattling.

sourbsted

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your replys. I checked the flex plate and distributer pulley they appear to be allright. I will see how she goes on my next fish..

cheers :)