my install of the transom in 27 deg weather

Robert4Winns

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: my install of the transom in 27 deg weather

It looks like the gap between the plywood and the hull is larger at the very bottom where the drain hole is. How much space did you leave and what is your plan for filling this space? When I put in my new transom, I was thinking about cutting the plywood so that there is no wood around the drain because that is where it looked like the water got into the transom in the first place.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is the way the original transom was made. It's about an inch above the drain. I really sealed that area of the transom with epoxy.I'm just going to let that area open as it was originaly

Robert4Winns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is the way the original transom was made. It's about an inch above the drain. I really sealed that area of the transom with epoxy.I'm just going to let that area open as it was originaly

Was the drain fitting just screwed into the 1/4" of fiberglass skin or was there a nut on the inside?

Thanks. Watching your progress is very helpful and informative.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... You guys get My vote for determination, tenacity,+ ingenuity.....
Lookin' Real Good Lime4x4,...... ;)

As for the side topic brewing,... It takes considerable Effort to ignite epoxy,...
It's Nothing like polyester...

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Drain fitting is just screwed into the fiberglass.It's all about making do with what u have available. It would be nice to have a big enough building to store the boat but i don't. So i have to make do with what i got. Atleast at my current rate i'll be ready for boating come spring.

Friscoboater

Captain

UUMMMMM................NO. You obviously have never done this before or you wouldn't even be saying any of this. Yes, I know exactly how hot that heater gets....I've sat in front of it while working on THIS boat. I also have experienced the LACK of fumes firsthand..on THIS boat. Believe me...after we epoxied the transom in we sealed the boat up tight and left the heater running til it ran out of fuel.......guess what...no fire, no explosion....no nothing. We also did all the wetting out of the wood and transom inside the closed up boat, with the heater running, so there was A LOT of wet epoxy to give off fumes if it was going to. Still nothing. No headache, no nausea, no dizziness and no explosions or flame offs. And yes the heater does shoot live flame out the front of it. So in conclusion, thank you for your concern, but it is misplaced.

This is getting out of hand, and someone needs to cool down. Sarcasm is not becoming for anyone.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

This is getting out of hand, and someone needs to cool down. Sarcasm is not becoming for anyone.
I'm not even remotely wound up and there was absolutely no sarcasm in my response. As I said before, we both appreciate your concern for our safety.

erikgreen

Captain

UUMMMMM................NO. You obviously have never done this before or you wouldn't even be saying any of this.

Okay, then. Whatever you call this tone of voice, it's a bit too much. Might want to relax about the whole thing and just let it go.

Sounds like things are proceeding well on this boat, and I for one am interested in finding out how things work out, doing the work outdoors this way.

Erik

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Another great day here in the northeast. It was 13 degrees outside with a steady 25 to 30 mph wind all day long. Was able to get the boat up to around 80 deg. So i got the transom wood tabbed in. Also managed to get the stringers epoxied in place. Those stringers ain't never come off the hull..lol
Considering the original stringers once i cut the top of the fiberglass off the stringers just pulled right out

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Another great day here in the northeast. It was 13 degrees outside with a steady 25 to 30 mph wind all day long. Was able to get the boat up to around 80 deg. So i got the transom wood tabbed in. Also managed to get the stringers epoxied in place. Those stringers ain't never come off the hull..lol
Considering the original stringers once i cut the top of the fiberglass off the stringers just pulled right out
Still planning on glassing next Sunday?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hey Lime4x4....... your pictures have that soft frost colored glow that all of us in a cold area recognize!! :D ;) You are doing great!

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Actually there is no frost inside the boat. It's the blue tint from the tarp.lol
Yes we should be on sunday as long as my stuff comes

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Went over to the boat today to c how the stringers setup. Well there never coming out of the boat again. I tapped them with a hammer and there solid as a rock. So the epoxy really setup good. Just proves with the right equipment u can do this in cold weather and still have great results.

Robert4Winns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With all of the discussion about fumes maybe I missed it, but how did you bed the stringers, thickened epoxy? What did you thicken it with and did you use the same mixture for teh transom?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i used west system epoxy. I thicken with west 404 high strength density filler. The same stuff was used for the transom as well

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll be tabbing the transom in with 1708 biaxle tape. The covering the whole transom with biaxle 1708 w/mat. How many layers of the 1708 do i need or should use?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just an update. Progress is still being made. Got all the bulkheads and shelving cut. Also got the gastank supporting shelf made. Did make a design change thou. The boat originally had 2 flat shelves on each side of the engine. Batteries where located there. I made them slightly sloped toward the engine. so that water would drain into the bilge better. I'm planning on moving the batteries to the outer shelves. Also relocating the freshwater tank and hot water heater to the mid berth storage compartment. Hopefully getting some of the weight out of the stern will help with it planning faster

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Finally got all the supplies needed to start the fiberglass phase.

here are the stringers and shelving being installed
img_8216.resized.jpg

img_8211.resized.jpg

and no the heater wasn't on
img_8210.resized.jpg

img_8348.resized.jpg

1st layer og 1708 biaxle cloth
img_8804.resized.jpg

img_8803.resized.jpg

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

tieing the transom fiberglass onto the shelves and stringers
img_8812.resized.jpg

2nd full layer of cloth
img_8818.resized.jpg

img_8819.resized.jpg

and this is what happens when u mix too much epoxy and u forget about it..lol Was actually smoking before it burned thru the plastic container
img_8821.resized.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Progress is still being made.

Ayuh,... I'll say,... Lookin' great....