My first boat Slickcraft SS215

msargius

Seaman
I found this boat for sale a Slickcraft SS215 20.5' , 1975, 10 person capacity, with Mercruiser 165hp.

myboat1.jpg

myboat2.jpg

As it is my first boat I am not sure if I made the right choice. It was really clean, but missing two back seats. The floor was solid, but also I could be mistaken. It was vinyl covered or fiberglass (not sure) but I did not see any vinyl seems but everything the edges will be going up to the sides. I liked it because I want to use it for fishing, as well for my kids to have fun (I am having a problem with fishing and carpet)

The caddie needs some work. The cushions inside you can say are brand new, the guy store them in his house, but the covering in the caddie is carpet and in poor shape. Which really I will want to change, using panels, and some shelves for storage, maybe a microwave (food for kids, coffee for me). It has a hand pump toilet which is not legal (need to fix this). Also a tank behind the toilet not hooked up to anything. The owner does not know what it is for. What worried me, I went to see it during the rain storm we had in MA, and there was a leak in the caddie coming from the wire that hooks the VHF radio, the silicon sealing the hole was leaking. The guy says he always had it covered, as I said I could not see any wood to inspect.

The engine a mercruiser 165. The boat had not started for two years, so when we had a new battery hooked up it did not start. The guy is repairing it now, he says that the starter froze, and is being rebuilt. He says that he did the head of the engine two years ago, and other things. Also the trims did not work, we can here the pump, but will not move up or down. The gauges had moisture inside them (is it a big problem). Comes with fish finder which I tried to operate but did not work. It will make a sound and die again.
I checked the Transom, it didn't look bad, and maybe it is surface thing. Also he says it has a 75 gallon fuel tank, (isn't that a little bit big) it was longer than the back to back seats, aluminum tank.

I told the owner to makes the engine work and the trim and we have a deal. Is that a good deal, I did leave a deposit. (We decided on $1350 including trailer) Because of budget I want to spend little at a time.

Let me know what you guys think? Excuse my ignorance!!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: My first boat Slickcraft SS215

hi.....welcome to i boats....:)

1300 is ok if the motor works.....something tells me it wont.

there are ways of testing the transom and deck...(floor) its called a core sample......just hit search.

read everything you can here.....search rotten transom.....wet foam...then when you go to see the vessel again....you will know better what to look for.

there a gaxillion things that can be wrong,,,,but if the motor and drive are not working.....its just not worth it....

ask to lake test the boat before you finalize the deal.

cheers
oops

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Slickcraft makes a great hull. I have a 1969 SS170v and I love it. Very smooth ride.

1300 is not a bad deal if the engine works. Boat + Engine + Trailer for 1300 is fine. Do like oops said, learn about what to look for in this used boat to save yourself a lot of headaches and cash in the future. Lake test would be ideal.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good advice so far. The Merc inline 6 is a good power package. As mentioned, just know what to look for as far as rot is concerned.

boatfire

Recruit

I had a new 17' tri-hull Slickcraft back in the early 70s, it was my first boat. Slickcraft is a very good boat, it was owned by Leon Slickers who now builds Pursuit and Tiara, both highly regarded brands.
However, when I worked at a boat dealer in Miami in 70s, I remember getting several relatively new Slickcrafts back with wet transoms. So like others have said, investigate thoroughly the transom, stringers and deck.
Even after all of these years, it is still a good lokking design and if you fix it up right, you will no doubt get a bunch of compliments at the ramp.

msargius

Seaman

Thank you everyone for your comments, I want to give you an update.

I called the owner, he told me he put a new starter, and the engine started, but it is starving for fuel or something. He is changing the plugs. He also think the fuel is about 2 years old, so that is why most propably will not start. He checked the pump fuel filter, etc... everything is fine as far as pressure etc... (which a little bit on the good side)..
He added some oil to the Trim resorvoir, and now it trims up and down no problem.

One think I forgott to mention, that the rubber Joint Bellow for the exhaust is torn, I beleive this to direct the fumes through the propeller under the water. Is this a big thing to change? Will I have to take off the lower part off in order to change it? I am very good with tools (major construction for 8 years) , this will be my first mechanical job (beside twin engines).

As far as the deck, it is fiverglass covered, as well as the transom, am I going tro try to look under things trough a snake camera which can go through holes and check hidden things out. He might refuse the core sample. I tried to find how to do it but I couldn't, but as I understand I need to drill a hole and see what will come out as far as wrotten wood, water, moisture, etc... Also I have a moisture meeter that I use for construction, would that help me?

Thank you all for your help.