My circa 1955 Lone Star Cruisemaster restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Eric - Can you get a pic of both the inside and outside of the bracket. Also the inside of the transom. I think I know what the pics will show, but just in case.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard Eric, good on ya for bringing the ole gal back to life.

Took a while to get to the heart of the boat and what she has or will have for a motor, my mind was wandering towards an I/O then OB. My cruiser has an I/O so I have preference there. So those LS CM had a factory OB pod on the back, that's wild for back in 55. What are the plans again for propulsion?

Nice work so far :thumb:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Eric,
Haven't heard from you in awhile and just checking in on your progress. That's a nice boat there. Hope all is well.
​KC

EricJay

Cadet
Hey guys. Sorry I dropped out for a while there. I took some time away from the boat during the cooler months but have made great progress since I restarted.

I cut and varnished all the interior and exterior wood, made and installed the transom board and put the transom back on the stern, applied a final coat of paint on the interior, and have been testing polishing methods on the exposed metal. For the transom board, I sandwiched 2 pieces of 3/4" hardwood plywood, installed, drilled, removed, varnished three times, and reinstalled using stainless hardware. I then bolted the transom back onto the stern using stainless hardware. For polishing the sides I used a hand sander with 3m metal finishing pads with and without rubbing compound. I need something more aggressive to achieve the shine I desire. I need a high speed, high torque tool for that.

I took a few pics but mostly just plowed through the work. I will post after resizing.

I am now researching power options. I love the idea of electric but want the range of gas. I see there are 165lb thrust engine mounted trolling motors out there. Would these be an option for a light aluminum vessel? I could fabricate a hanger for that. I would be surprised if I am 1000 lbs currently. I am leaning toward a 50-90lb gas engine but if I can keep 2 banks of batteries and recharge one bank with a 1000w generator while the other provides propulsion I would go that route.

I could conceivably be on the water in a month or so if the stars align just so...

greg hill

Recruit
Hey, i'm restoring a 1955 Lone Star Starliner, on the floor shoul i drill the holes in the wood before i spar it? also I have the original foam, it seems solid and intake, do you think it is reusable?, i"mfollowing your advice on not putting it in floor..

Status
Not open for further replies.