My boat hasn't run in two years - help!

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The boat is a 1987 Sea Ray Sorrento 24 5.7L 260 HP, new aplha one drive with 14 hrs of run time. Engine compression was checked and all checked out fine between 145 and 150 PSI.

I'm looking for some advice on what to do prior to starting my boat this spring. Is there a thread someone can point me to? One question I have is the condition of the gas. It was stabilized prior to storage. Do I need to siphon it out prior to starting? The oil was replaced prior to storage. Should it be replaced?

Thanks!

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My boat hasn't run in two years - help!

If you have a strong battery, chank it up and see what happens.

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK thanks. I'll be replacing both batteries as they were due.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Honestly, I would check the fluids, possibly do an oil change on it. Once done, I would hook the hose up and give it a shot. I don't think 2 year old gas is going to cause a problem with the motor running.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you wanted you could spray some fogging oil in the cylinders through the spark plug hole the day before you start it. That will loosen any minor surface corrosion. Change the fuel filter after this tank of gas. It should be okay.
I'd probably just start it and run it as is.

Philster

Captain

Squirt something into the cylinders, such as basic light oil (Marvel Mystery Oil is perfect) and crank it with the fuel supply off, just briefly, then turn on the fuel supply and do a light squirt of light oil and crank it again to start it.

Personally, given the octane loss over the years, I'd top it off with premium before firing it up.

You can find guys starting 40-year old cars worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, and some have been sitting for a decade, and they get some lube into the cylinders and fire it up with fresh gas added if they can't outright drain it. Sometimes, WD-40 is just fine to squirt into the engine.

Crank and listen: If anything sounds ominous, turn it off.

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If you wanted you could spray some fogging oil in the cylinders through the spark plug hole the day before you start it. That will loosen any minor surface corrosion. Change the fuel filter after this tank of gas. It should be okay.
I'd probably just start it and run it as is.

Yesss.....Fresh battery and drain the fuel and refill with fresh fuel with Sea Foam in it per the label instructions.....pull the plugs. Fog each cylinder with Sea Foam Aerosol or a regular fogging spray (reason being is surface rust that could accumulate on the cylinder walls...adding lube reduces the opportunity to crack a ring).

Spin engine over a few times and fog again....pistons will be in different positions and you can get more oil into the cylinders where the piston was at TDC when you fogged at first.

Drain the oil and refill with new and replace the oil filter filling with oil to the point of saturation before installing it....prevents dry starts. Spin the engine with the starter for 30 seconds or thereabouts......getting all the moving parts lubed before you put operating pressures on them.

Put the plugs back in and attach wires.

Go through your normal starting procedure and as soon as the engine lights off try to keep it running at the lowest possible rpm for the first few minutes.

After that..............GO FOR IT!

BTDT including restoring farm tractors that have been sitting for 20 years in the field without running.

Mark

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would pull the distributor and get an adapter to spin the oil pump and pre lube everything that way.

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Started her up yesterday. Had a 1/4 tank of nearly 3 yr old gas. Third try she fired up and sputtered. 5th time she held and purred like a kitten. Only problem now is the alternator isn't charging the batteries. Onward...

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

unless you are over 1500 rmp it wont.

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks and I remembered that detail before I pulled it and still only had 12 volts on both batteries. Turns out it was bad. The regulator was shot and brushes needed replacing. Total repair cost $75. Looks like we'll be on the water for the long weekend after all. Yipee!