my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Kev ya know thats really kinda sad Diane had a bigger Chit eating grin :D than you did . I have a feeling once you get the impeller worked out you will be spending ALOT of weekends fishing ( like it or not ) :D.

Rick

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

looks to me like she pretty thrilled with the boat ..... watch out credit card/check book LOL

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, I don't think spending money on the boat will be a problem now! :D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanks guys..Diane is pretty happy..Guess her nagging is somewhat muted..

Bear, where ya been? Thanks, I appreciate the comment!

Today, well..It's been drizziling rain all morning, since 6am..geeez

I have to get the impeller changed today, picked up one yesterday but am thinking maybe the whole housing kit would have been smarter just to do it all..

Before I do that though..I have to fix the busted bunk support, get the boat up off the trailer..fun stuff..

North Beach

Commander

Thanks guys..Diane is pretty happy..Guess her nagging is somewhat muted..

Bear, where ya been? Thanks, I appreciate the comment!

Today, well..It's been drizziling rain all morning, since 6am..geeez

I have to get the impeller changed today, picked up one yesterday but am thinking maybe the whole housing kit would have been smarter just to do it all..

Before I do that though..I have to fix the busted bunk support, get the boat up off the trailer..fun stuff..

AHH the joys of boating:)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Kev how are you going to be hoisting the "B-Ticket" up exactly? Remember...work smart, not hard;)

I'm sure that impeller is installed and ready to pull water by now right Kev?

Can't wait to see some slimy fish flopping all around inside the old Holiday:D

BTW what species are you going to be haulin in? Us sweetwater folks are curious LOL.:)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Well H.A. Since ya ask...
I used a scissor jack like this under the stern..raised enough for me to get to the bunks..

PIC-0424.jpg

Gotta say this little lady spooked me..lots of black widows out here in the sticks and they think my trailer is some kinda resort!!

PIC-0423.jpg

Heres a shot straight through where ya can see the brackets..

PIC-0425.jpg

Gotta tell you how stupid I am..I went and got new brackets..got em on, decided to do BOTH bunks, as the port side was as bad as the starboard side..

Get the bunks bolted in, what a PITA doing this solo..lowered the boat back down and errrrrrrrr...They are 2 inches too short!!!
I didnt pay attention to how LONG (tall?) the old ones where..ahhh man..wasted my whole day...Didnt even touch the impeller.

And as far as fish go HA..
Theres grouper in the gulf, and snook & sharks, reds..sea trout..all kinds of fish
Lake Okeechobee is about 45 mins from my house and has some big ol bass...

all my experience has been Saltwater in California & Mexico..gonna hafta learn some new tricks out here..

Rickairmedic

Commander

First trick your gonna need a decent casting net to catch shiners on the way out into the gulf in order to catch the grouper :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Well...started messin around with my bunks again this afternoon..Fried my freekin brain..Having a really warm week coming up..93 degrees and sizzlin hot!!!

Did get my bunks done and a new bow roller put on..really need to float her off so I can get her recentered better. I used a 2X4 and lifted and pushed the bow over..but needs to be better situated.
Last thing was these "wind detectors" that I put on my guide rails...Looks cool if I do say so..lol
IMPELLER tomorrow and hopefully more cheesy vids! lol

PIC-0430.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

Good deal Kev so if you get the impeller done early today you can go for a test spin and get her back on the trailer right ( right ) :D.

Rick

North Beach

Commander

Glad you got some progress kev! Check the Starcraft threads!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Kev glad to hear you're winning your battle you've been waging against the trailer:D

Has anyone told you that the diamond-plated mud guards are sweet?

...they are;)

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kev glad to hear you're winning your battle you've been waging against the trailer:D

Has anyone told you that the diamond-plated mud guards are sweet?

...they are;)

Mike if you have a Tractor supply near you you to could have diamond plate mud guards :D.

Rick

nlain

Commander

Hey Kevin, What is the latest on E Ticket, got it wet anymore, get it on the trailer like you want it, sounds like you are getting closer.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey Kevin, What is the latest on E Ticket, got it wet anymore, get it on the trailer like you want it, sounds like you are getting closer.

Hello Nlain!

I STILL have to do the impeller change in the OD...I wanted to get it done last weekend but the bunks wiped me out Saturday and actually had some family obligations Sunday.

BTW..When I change the impeller...How do I know that the plastic housing and everything else is good? Just inspect for cracks???

I should have it done Saturday, also will have to hook up the Temp Gauge for sure, but I believe that is fairly simple..(even for me)

nlain

Commander

Check the price on just an impeller kit and the complete pump kit, not knowing how old the housing is you may just want to change it and be done with it. My feelings on plastic is the older it gets the more brittle it gets. If you do want to reuse, look for cracks in the plastic housing inside and outside, scratches/gouges inside where the impeller runs, top, bottom and side.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

I think its only a few bucks more for the complete kit, prob worth the extra $$ for the impeller housing....
guess "they" want ya to change em out every 2 years anyways...impellers that is....

I like the flags!

Vegas......

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Well, maybe this is a selfish post to bring my thread out of the basement..

You may know I was fighting the impeller and did install it..Had some issues getting the upper and lower together..Once I did I had all sorts of issues that I have gotten help with it in the I/O forum and my buddy Gcboat come over yesterday to see if he could help out..

I am thinking I am pretty much stainless steel SCREWED for the moment..

It seems that when I had the upper and lower seperated and on my sawhorse/plywood make shift bench..well the lower unit slid off beecause I moved the upper and the lower was sea sawed off and bounced on the driveway..Looks like some gears or shift clamp in there broke or ??????

So unless I can get it to a shop to do all the investigating, then find the money for a repair..I am dead in the water right now.

Found a complete upper and lower on CL in Orlando for 200 bucks..Great deal, but bad timing cash wise...

Status
Not open for further replies.