My 1969 Starcraft Starchief.....all 18' of her

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Thursday is here. We put the plug in and backed her into the river. Started her up and away we went. We got there early to do a test run before Dad got there. Good thing. As we went up river, motor would not slow down lower than 3100 rpm. UT oh!. Would not shift into neutral or anything. So I headed her into the dock (a little fast) turned motor off and drifted into the dock to tie up. We discovered that the throttle was stuck. A little grease and cleaning and she was fine. Dad pulled up and came aboard. Took the Captain's seat and drove her up and down the river a few times. He was thrilled at how she ran after sitting so many years. He couldn't believe how much work I did in a short time just for him. I have to say it was a great day and was so happy I got to take Dad out. He is all talk now about going Rock fishing in December at the VA Beach Bay Bridge like he used to. Was so busy with Dad on boat forgot to take any pics. Did get one after Dad had gotten off.

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Pulled the plug out when we got home. Was afraid of how much water was in there. Not a drop came out. Wow. What a boat. Now to wash scrape paint and get her looking good again. Thanks everyone for your help so far. Next major engine work will be idle adjustment and new impeller.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Congrats on getting Dad back on the water, Lanie. Did he get to fish or was he too busy :Ding?

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
I made sure he knew it was boat ride only. Fish another day. It was tough on him just walking to the boat. I will take him out another day to fish. He is so excited about boating again it is giving him something positive to think about. He lives about an hour from me now and had called me 4 or 5 times about the boat. So glad he is enjoying the thoughts of fishing.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey that's great, nothing like being on the water to make one forget the world and enjoy the moment. :thumb:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Congrats! I'm glad it all worked out for you. If your 88 is like my similar vintage 70, idle adjustment is just turning the stopper screw next to the timing/throttle arm on engine's starboard side.

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for the kind words. Dad is now planning his cat fishing trip along with a few others.

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Haven't really worked on her. This past Saturday my grandson and his parents (my son and his wife, from NJ) came out to go boating. Was a great day. Engine did great. No water when we pulled plug, I thought there would be some with us going in and out of boat. Big day on Susquehanna and at the sandbar. Had been many years. As you can see, I'm training my Grandson at an early age.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah, awesome! Sounds like you can just run it. Mine will be a constant project for years to come.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Good times is what boating is all about! Love to see the old Chiefs out on the water again.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Looks good, nice and simple.

Some of us really go all out, my 1963 Starchief had an oddball config, and me wanting to update and open some more cabin space caused a lot of work and tons of thinking. :)

I also have an engine that had been sitting in a field for years, the old Chrysler 140hp

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Belated Congratulations!!!!

I bet you have tremendous comfort going forward knowing that you're working with a solid setup!

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks all, she still needs a lot of tlc. I was very lucky that we did fog the engine before she sat or I wouldn't be posting on this forum. The remaining of this year I want to change the impeller, check timing on engine and maybe rewire her completely ( I have a friend, now like my third son, that is very interested in restoring her also and doesn't mind helping.) Right now she is under tarp staying dry. Soon....

Last edited: