My 1969 Chrysler Fury Tri-Hull restoration

mbfishinguy

Cadet
Hello, I am new to iboats but was just posting the boat I will be starting with as a base for the rebuild I plan on doing when this snow and cold leaves.
boat.jpg
I picked this boat up last spring on the trailer for $450.00 which I thought was a great deal for a very stable boat.
photo.jpg
I plan on redoing almost all the boat this year, from fixing the rock hole in the center keel to adding a front casting deck with live well.
$T2eC16R,!yME9s5qG+uqBRohVzn+tQ~~48_35.JPG
The floor needs to be replaced and re-glassed. I cant wait till I can get out where it is stored and start fixing it.
$(KGrHqJ,!lgFF-C0ytthBRohWhG5bg~~48_35.JPG
I have already purchased two pedestal seats with pedestals, a 12 gallon fuel tank and all the fiberglass and resin I will need for this project.
photo(1).jpg
I plan on repainting the bottom black and doing the top a winter camo pattern to match the upholstery I did on the pedestal seats.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Re: My 1969 Chrysler Fury Tri-Hull restoration

Welcome aboard mbf ! Cool looking project ! Funny looking trailer but it looks a little small for the boat . Do you have an o/b for it ? Shame to cut the front cap out of this old classic but I understand the thinking . It would make for a much better fishing boat . Good luck with it and keep us posted ! Btw , make sure you check out the stringers and transom when the deck comes out . Chances are they will need replacing ..
Later SP..

mbfishinguy

Cadet

Welcome aboard mbf !

I actually had the floor out of it last year. Had to take it out due to the fact when i bought it there was 8 inches of water on top of the floor, lol. Got all the water out and ripped out the floor to find soaking wet foam underneath. Used a dehumidifier with the drain hose running out the back and totally sealed it with plastic along with all the holes. let it run for a week and when i came back to it everything was bone dry. I have cut a new floor for it and used spray foam to level it out. now the second year with it its going to get the works before opening fishing day. I also picked up a 90 hp chrysler outboard for it in the fall so all the controls and motor needs to be set up too.
Looking forward to all this snow disappering.
The trailer was with the boat when i bought it, its really nice, it has springs and shocks but yes its quite small for the boat. Picking up a new trailer for it on the 19th of april for $300 and its made for an 18 foot fiberglass. will sell the smaller trailer for 700-1000 dollars in may. so that will pay for most of the upgrades to my boat.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hopefully it warms up for ya soon !
Just a word of caution . Using a dehumidifier may have dried things out but are you sure the wood under the glass was not rotten ? Doing core sample's with a small drill bit would be a good idea if you have not already done that . Make sure you put a layer of csm on the underside of the deck wood before you install it .
She should move along pretty good with a 90 on there ! :)

mbfishinguy

Cadet

i hope so, i traded a 14 foot fiberglass runabout with a broken 40 hp force, cracked block from previous owner and trailer for the 90. cant wait to get out and catch some eyes this year or even big cat fish

jbcurt00

Staff member

I doubt that any amount of dehumidification would 100% dry out water logged foam. The surface you can touch, yes, dry to the touch. Several inches down, dry, perhaps. At the hull at the bottom of the foam filled cavity, I doubt it's dry.

And even if it was dry, it's been wet. It looses it's functionality as flotation foam after becoming water logged. As SP suggested, I too, strongly urge you to take a core sample in a few locations in the foam. Get a 2ft pc of pvc, cut saw teeth in 1 end, and drill down until you contact the hull. Pull out the core you've just cut. I'd be willing to be a fairly sizable amount, the hole you've cut in the foam will fill, if only a little, w/ water.

I'm not familiar w/ Chrysler hull construction, but are the stringers made of wood & encased in fiberglass. If there was standing water in the hull, I also suspect they have had water intrusion as well. Did you check them too? If so how?

Lastly, a hull full of standing water may have transom water intrusion problems as well. It too should be core sampled.

Not sure where you plan to get your supplies, but iboats has just added products to their fiberglass repair products section of the online store:
Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair

Did the 90hp run before you bought it? Shift F-N-R? Pump water?

mbfishinguy

Cadet

[/URL]
Did the 90hp run before you bought it? Shift F-N-R? Pump water?[/QUOTE]

Yeah the motor ran perfectly when I purchased with lots of compression. Should be a cinch to hook everything up after i give it a quick paint job. As for the stringers there are not really any. There is 2 that run up the sides of the boat to secure the floor and inside sides too but other then that its just foam over hull. I did have it in the water last summer and it went and floated well but i only had a 10 hp on the back, extremely stable.