My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So I need to install the transom tiedown eyes, these bolt thru the transom. How do you guys recommend sealing the holes or any transom penetrations for that matter... ie. the engine mount bolts, swim deck mounting? The other problem here is that they are located inside the flotation boxes... so the nut side will be encapsulated by the foam.... what if the things ever loosened up???

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks Sam.

A few more bits showed up today.... the floatation foam and the first bits of the sounds system..

Its been a very very long time since I put one of theses together.... Im sure there is better stuff and different ways to go, but I went with the infinity head unit, the 2 6.5 rounds will go in the front of the bow ( the 2 blue panels I made)

6x9 Polk audio 3ways in the cockpit (on the outboard corners of the kick panel) and a 100 watt JBL amp..... I think it should do just fine.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I kinda like the way GT1000000 did his Tow Eyes on the BassAssassin... Usin backup plates.
DSCF2249.jpg
I would also use some LockTite on the Threads and if the threads stuck out just a bit I'd prolly hit em with a hammer so they couldn't/wouldn't be able to backout EVER!!!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I kinda like the way GT1000000 did his Tow Eyes on the BassAssassin... Usin backup plates.
DSCF2249.jpg
I would also use some LockTite on the Threads and if the threads stuck out just a bit I'd prolly hit em with a hammer so they couldn't/wouldn't be able to backout EVER!!!!

I like it!!! I did think about hitting them with a tack weld just be sure...

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Did you happen to over drill your holes and fill with pb?

I havent drilled anything yet....(scared)!! I think I am nervous that the PB will fracture and allow water in. I also use the transom eyes for pulling the tube for kiddies.... Maybe Im just overthinking it.....just pains me to drill into that transom!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Over size em and PB em and re drill em!!! Then coat em with 4200 when you install em and you'll never, ever worry about em.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
You could drill them from the inside mark your bit so you do not go through the outside fill with pb Then drill through so you dont make a mess on the finish. Then use extra thick fender washers on single bolts and blocks like gt on the dual. I know its a little nerve racking but we have no choice. LOL

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Oh, and make sure to Masking tape the Paint on the outside before you drill to ensure you don't chip the paint!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd recommend about 3/16". Are your Eyes single or double bolts? How big of threads?

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK, here is what I came up with....we will see after a bit on how it worked. I have to admit, it really pained me to drill into the transom.

Located and drilled the holes to 1/2 inch..

I cut the surface hole on both fore and aft side of the transom, then finished the hole all the way thru.

Mixed up some hairy PB ( with a bit of help)

Speed taped the hole from the outside and poke a vent hole in the center....Squirted the PB in the hole from the inside till I had good bit of resin squirting out the vent hole.

After it kicks, Ill go out and peel the tape off and hope the hole is completely filled.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Perfect job! Cor. I just came across a bunch of "glass cutting" bits by Bosch that are made to cut glass and tile. They are real sweet. They help the freak out factor of chipping the surrounding areas. But you still need to place painters tape on the side you start from...usually the finished side first is drilled out. They aren't expensive.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Perfect job! Cor. I just came across a bunch of "glass cutting" bits by Bosch that are made to cut glass and tile. They are real sweet. They help the freak out factor of chipping the surrounding areas. But you still need to place painters tape on the side you start from...usually the finished side first is drilled out. They aren't expensive.

Thanks for the tip... the spade bit was totally jacked after 4 holes....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Horizontal tow eyes ? I think this is the first I have seen installed not vertically or angled a bit .. I guess it really doesn't matter ...
Nice job ! Wish I had a helper !

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Horizontal tow eyes ? I think this is the first I have seen installed not vertically or angled a bit .. I guess it really doesn't matter ...
Nice job ! Wish I had a helper !

OK, I didnt know which way they should go.....so here was my thought process....I will be primarily be towing kids in a tube from those eyes......(mostly dynamic tension loading). When its loaded on the trailer, its more in a static torsional load. Those dynamic loads in torsional direction are absorbed by the trailer and leaf springs. I have no idea on the real data.... but I guessed the dynamic loading from the tube would be more inclined to fracture the PB and allow water in.

I could be completely full of crap..... but that was the deciding factor.

Last edited: