My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nice job on the buffing....love doing that, its is rewarding to see it shine...and you end up with black crap all over you! I used to polish fuel tanks in high school...they always looked amazing and I was always filthy! What happened to your Avatar? Someone from down south of the river hack it? BOOMER!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Details...that looks bee-u-ti-ful! Is that stainless? Explain the process so we can all learn from your expertise! Just gorgeous!

Fiderday, wish I could dazzle you with a big secret, but there isnt one.......just a buffing wheel and jewelers rouge (brown/tripoli)....the material is aluminum, stainless takes FOREVER to polish!!!

I try to not let the material that Im polishing get too hot, and rake (dragging a sharp object on the buffing wheel to clean out the burned up rouge) the buffing wheel often. A little rouge goes a long ways. It is one of those things that just takes time. I have about 3.5 hours into these pieces.

Nice job on the buffing....love doing that, its is rewarding to see it shine...and you end up with black crap all over you! I used to polish fuel tanks in high school...they always looked amazing and I was always filthy! What happened to your Avatar? Someone from down south of the river hack it? BOOMER!

Arch, I agree, its mind numbing, but very satisfying....I just put the ipod on random shuffle and go..... Yes, my boss made me go straight to the shower and asked me what the heck I was doing out there???? Had black junk all over me!!! The avtar had to go, I was politely asked by a moderator to remove it....

Have a good night all!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Trailer stripped and just bout ready to go to sandblaster tomorrow.....

have a good rest of your weekend....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
good call, that is what I did to mine. By the way it will probably be pitted, so when you paint it it will look kind of textured / dull. I sanded the most visible parts of mine, then wiped it down with bondo....mostly the tongue and frame rails. Then I sanded it, primed, re-sanded and painted it. It turned out nice and smooth / glossy. Also you might want to sand down the fenders by hand.....they might get beat up pretty good.....or just blast and paint you know me, I get carried away!

I would pull off the axle once you get it there, otherwise you will probably have sand in your bearings unless they protect it.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks Arch.... I am planning to do something very similar to yours......close in the fenders and a side steps. Still pondering the steps, because the side bunks stick out far enough to make the steps unusable..maybe a step closer to the bow....

For a while today I was trying to talk myself into skimping and not blasting it....Finally I got to the point of knowing/accepting the paint will look like crap if I dont do it right. Even if its "just the trailer" I figure that this WILL be a trailer queen, so it better look nice on her perch......I have plenty of filler....like a ding dong, when I got ready to do the bottom of the hull, bought a gallon of 3M premium filler instead the tube...

Hope you all gave a short week and a long weekend!!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Whep, tomorrow is my 1st year anniversary with the GT, Wow, what a year, I have learned a tremendous amount and made some pretty descent progress. When I started this, I had no clue what I was getting into but I figured it would take at least two years. I think im on schedule more or less. I could not have got this far without all of your help, kind words and encouragement. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!

The trailer is still at the sandblaster, they said end of next week and they will be done. Also, I will be making my paint order next week as well. Here are a couple shots of the beginning....

Again, Thanks All and have a great weekend.....!!!!!

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Trim looks great cor I got lucky on my trailer its aluminum. Only problem is it floats little bit of a pain haha
Seeing your early on pictures makes me wonder what were we thinking when we started these restorations But as you know it well worth it

SAT_Bob

Seaman
I also started my thread last year on the same day you did. Hard to believe it's already been a year. Crazy how much life gets in the way but I work on it when when I can. You're making great progress and doing awesome work. Keep it up.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So I get the trailer back tomorrow from sandblast. Do I need to do anything special other than primer to bare metal?

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
When I had my car blasted they put it in epoxy primer and then I had to go over that within 72 hours with urethane primer. I believe the epoxy primer helps with rust but gets so hard if you do not re coat within 72 hours it has to be scuffed up

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I just put mine inside where it was dry, although flash rust can be an issue. If you prime it, then you will have to (or should) sand it before you paint it if you want good adhesion. my bet is they will hit it with a rough abrasive, mine felt like sand paper. (if you are lucky, they will hit it with silica or something fine.....I had the pleasure of being the sandblast guy in high school.....I was usually more concerned with just getting it done than how smooth the finish was.) if you are happy with how smooth it is, get on! just sealing it up with a sealer and hitting it right after that with a top coat.

Are you planning on matching the boat paint job or going with something else? If you are wanting it to look really pretty, you will more than likely need to do the prep work I outlined. I put a base clear urethane on mine to match the boat stripe. I wanted to just use a single stage paint (same color, but eliminates the clear.....saves time and material). I did the base clear on the boat because it had two colors, since the trailer was one color, the single stage would have worked fine. Natuarlly they didn't make the that color in a single stage, so I had to spend the extra time and money on the base clear. it more or less doubles your painting time.

If you are wanting it just black or white or something basic, just use a automotive acrylic enamel over a sealer. Again how smooth the finish is will determine how glossy it is. You can also just hit it with rustoleumn, but the life span will be much shorter.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Arch/Mincha, thanks for the reply's....

So here is the trailer back from the blaster. Damn the luck, on the way home wouldnt you know it.....RAIN!!!!! Hurried up and dried it off and heated it with my jet heater.

Started final disassemble to get ready for primer this weekend.

Have a Good night!! Oh by the way.....College Football fans rejoice!!! Here we go for another great season!!!

NVFireFighter

Recruit
Hello All, I found this great site on a search and boy is it wonderful!

I too have a GT-160 and I'm trying to source a few parts......middle window,stock rear aluminum trim.....that type of stuff, and then to see what a task you took on doing the whole rebuild.....very impressive!!

I'm going to follow your progress.....mostly as an inspiration to myself to polish mine up a bit also! lol

If anyone knows a good resource on parts,please let me know.

Thanks!

2013-06-02113502_zpsbb16b69e.jpg

2013-06-02113431_zpsf199aaf9.jpg

2013-05-25083551_zpse78857b4.jpg

2013-06-02121232_zps014751f0.jpg

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
NVFF, Im learning my way through this also....but thanks for the compliments! Your pix didnt come through....I suggest a free photo bucket account then you can click in the IMG code and paste it straight into your posts.

There are a few of 68/69 GT's around, fortunately mine was mostly compete except for being completely rotten....there is a guy on the classic glastron of minnisota that has one, and a few guys on facebook-classic glaston owners - but they are in Europe. Mostly I search for pictures trying to figure out what the original looked like and am trying to recreate.

If you decide to start your own thread, there a many, many folks that are more than happy to share their vast knowledge, experience and guide you along the way. Ill help if I can. I couldn thave got this far with out this site!!!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Today WOG....the plan it to get it primed today, put back together tomorrow and White on it Monday.....

NVFF, pix are there now!! I like it!! I have been wondering how it would look with a bimini.....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Glad you are fixing up the trailer by the way. I nice restored boat always looks goofy sitting on an old rusty trailer!