muskrats chewing ropes on boats ?

canmaker

Seaman Apprentice
hi everyone , we are having problems with muskrats chewing through our ropes at the marina , any ideas how to stop them from doing this ? we tried to trap them but they wont go in the live trap , I would like to bring my pellet rifle there and shoot them , but we have to many animal lovers there . any ideas ? thanks .

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: muskrats chewing ropes on boats ?

They are next to impossible to live trap is correct. When the season opens let a trapper know of your problem and he will be happy to help. Just don't tell the tree huggers. HHMmmm wonder what the pelts go for now. 54 years ago I was paid $0.50 or $0.75 each depending on condition. OH,,, and they multiply well so if you think the problem is bad now in a couple years .....

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral

a well placed bird of prey decoy works wonders for keeping some critters away.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer

I would just take part of a day and kill one then smear some blood near your boat. It should scare they off or try exlax and sardines. Man they will remember that for life lol

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I would just take part of a day and kill one then smear some blood near your boat. It should scare they off or try exlax and sardines. Man they will remember that for life lol

That may work,,, if you cannot use a 22 to put them to sleep I'd use poison-- but I did not say that.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lol WELL PLACED PIN WHEELS from a dollar store. the wind will create vibratiions that will carry down to the ground or dock wood and reverberate. The muskrat will detect and interpret them as a predator threat. try it--works for moles in landscaping biz and people are shocked by its ease and efficiency

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

urine in a spray bottle also may work

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer

That may work,,, if you cannot use a 22 to put them to sleep I'd use poison-- but I did not say that.
22? lol I was thing like a 30-30 considering that is the smallest I have and the exlax and sardines will keep them away without killing them just gives them super bad ****s for a few days

airshot

Rear Admiral

Get yourself some red hot pepper sauce and mix some with water in a spray bottle and soak your ropes good. After a couple chews they will leave them alone. Simple, cheap and easy to re-spray on occasion, or after a good rain.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer

airshot would it not stain the white ropes?

airshot

Rear Admiral

In all probability yes it would, go to colored ropes or stain the ropes to match the pepper sauce. This will for sure stop the little critters
though.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer

I have no bet of that just figured I would check because I know some things that you would think would stain don't and vice versa.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

A 22 is quieter... but the 30 - 30 will work. If the exlax/sardines works quickly they may use your boat for a bathroom. Nothing says they will go away with the ****z. Seriously, they now see your dock lines as a dinner. They keep multiplying and your wires and upholstery is on the menu.
22? lol I was thing like a 30-30 considering that is the smallest I have and the exlax and sardines will keep them away without killing them just gives them super bad ****s for a few days

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah I guess, up to him as to what he does, will have to weight the pros and cons of each. I know it works will many animals of that size and nature.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

could always put the dock lines away and tie the boat to the dock with live extension cords...

Me personally, I'd sleep on the boat and shoot em regardless of what people thought... a quick pop of an air rifle at 3 am is REALLY hard to pinpoint....

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you could use a pumpkin cannon--that might work:eek:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If you can find some 100% Deet insect repellant spray your ropes with it, animals and bugs hate deet because it's very bitter. It won't stain your ropes because it's clear... and it'll keep the bugs away from your boat!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Get yourself some red hot pepper sauce and mix some with water in a spray bottle and soak your ropes good. After a couple chews they will leave them alone. Simple, cheap and easy to re-spray on occasion, or after a good rain.

I did this with my bird seed when squirrels and chipmunks would empty me out every morning. Dumped a small amount of hot pepper dust in the tub of seed, then mixed it up. I was comical watching the squirrels sneezing and trying to get the powder off their noses. Solved my problems very quick. Birds don't have saliva glands so no issues there. I like the spray bottle idea.