Multiple issues with '55 Evinrude 15.

knehdn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don't know where to start. Bought it last week along with the original pressure type tank and hose and couplings. Been sitting 15+ years. Yes, the gas too. (The gas went to the local recycling depot.)
Tried pulling the starter rope. Wouldn't budge. Figure the pistons must be seized/stuck/???.
Laid it down with plugs up, sprayed fogging oil in to each cylinder, and let sit for a couple of days. Tried the rope again. Still tighter than a youknowwhat. A bit more lube; a couple of more days...same results - zip.
Also there's a ton of grud in the tank. Is it worth cleaning and continue to use this tank if I ever get the motor running, or should I convert it to a single line feed as I'll be doing with my '59 Evinrude 10?
I've read much about these old pressure tanks. Are they as dangerous as some say?

Now back to the motor.... I guess if the pistons don't loosen up soon, I'll need tear down the whole motor;Yes?
Apparently the P.O. had just had it serviced and tuned and it ran perfectly, but unfortunately, he, 80+ at the time, passed away, and everything was simply stored away till now. Mind you, I only paid $30 for the motor and tank, and the stand it had been stored on was thrown in. A bargain at the time, yes.... but not sure what's ahead in getting this old '55 running again.
I'm thanking everyone now for all and any advise.

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Multiple issues with '55 Evinrude 15.

my '53 15HP was seized, too.

I pulled the head & found very light surface rust on the cylinder walls. It looked insignificant, but it was enough to stop the rings dead in their tracks. A gentle brass-wire-wheeling with a drill and some PB (man, does that stuff work!!) and I'm turning freely.

You might have a similarly-stuck engine....feels frozen, but in actuality "no big deal"

+++

EDIT....I'm a complete newbie at outboard engine restoration (having just begun my very first!). Sure, I've rebuilt engines before, but never an outboard. Take any/everything I say with the understanding that I don't know much about any of this stuff!!

Like they say....."even a blind monkey gets a coconut every now & then". Maybe I was just dumb-lucky!

kfa4303

Banned

Hi knehdn. These links should help you bring her back to life and do the fuel pump conversion. You may also want to remove the pull start aparatus and try turning the motor over using the flywheel nut. You may just have a bad pull starter which is impeding your ability to turn it over. Great old motor you got there. Well worth the effort. Give these a read and report back.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/max/index1.htm
http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Converting_dual_fuel_line.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtG4M7ye1N8&feature=related

jbjennings

Captain

The tanks being dangerous is total nonsense. THey are no more dangerous than modern tanks. You could clean your tank possibly. I'd change it over to a fuel pump and single line hose since a good tank is hard to come by.
JMO,
JBJ

knehdn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank yous go out to Jersey, Florida, and Louisiana.
I removed the pull start assembly and tried turning the flywheel. Took some effort but it moved! A bit more spray, moved easier and easier and EASIER. Whew. For the heck of it, I screwed in a compression tester and got about 70 in both cylinders just by using the ratchet on the flywheel nut. This could be a good sign, so I sprayed in a bit more lube and will let it sit for a couple of more days. I'm so happy...
The gas tank... it's a mess. Took it apart and there must be 2 lb. of rust and crap in there. I think it's toast.
I watched and read the links I was sent. I think I'll convert both the '55 15 and the '59 10 to a single fuel supply and use the vac cap method. Also, I have 2 fairly new plastic OMC tanks for my '61 40 Johnson, so that'll simplify life a bit. As an aside - I originally bought the 10 as a kicker and when I was looking for parts, the 15 became available.
I can buy that fuel pump shown in the video for around 50 bucks, but that's gonna be $100 plus, plus. So next week, if time permits (i.e. you know who), I'll start with the 10 cuz the carb's already off waiting for a kit. Just need to pick up the caps and some of that gasket sealer/maker stuff.
Again, thanks for the great info. You have no idea just how appreciative I am.
I'll report back after I do the conversion on the 10.

knehdn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had another look at the conversion video, I guess I didn't fully understand it at first, cuz I just found out I still need to buy that fuel pump. I thought all I had to do was insert the vac cap... wrong. Sometimes my brain cramps. Back later.