"muffs"

sparticus

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been wandering through the threads and keep hearing about folks running their engines with "the muffs". Being a noob to the outboard motor stuff what are they? Are they mufflers? Where do you get them? On a side note, what would I need to do to test run my 650 Mercury at home? I just want to make sure it starts and runs for a few min to verify that I can take out the water. Thanks!!!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: "muffs"

Also known as Flushettes. They fit over the water intakes on the gearcase and you connect it to a garden hose. That supplies water to the motor so you can flush it with fresh water. It also prevents the water pump from burning up which they'll do when the motor is run out of the water. You can get them anyplace that sells boat stuff.

example

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you can get them at walmart sporting goods section. heres a pictue, copy and paste without the " "http://www.boatersoutlet.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=983" tried to find one at iboats, didn't come up, but i know they sell them

sparticus

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ahhhhhhh.....I see. Muffs as in Ear Muffs! What about a large container of water? I have LARGE horse water bucket that I can set the lower unit in and fill with water......would that work as well?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Yup. As long as you can fit the full gearcase in to about 2" over the joint between the gearcase and midsection.

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

caution............Don't run at high rpms for too long or at all. If you run it in a bucket, make sure you don't run it till the water heats up too much.