Moving Axles

wallychaser

Seaman Apprentice
I have approximately 350 lbs on the tongue, I would like to get it to 150lbs ish. Any idea how far I will need to move them? It is a single axle, 19' alum boat. Is there a ratio I can use, or just trial and error?

Thanks,
Nick

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Moving Axles

If you have exact weights and exact measurements of distance between the tongue, axle and lower end you can calculate exactly where the axle should be. See the excellent article by JimH in CW referenced above. It is junior high school physics.

There is a good chance that you will calculate that you need to drill new holes in the frame to position the cradle. Bad idea. Any difference in distance, even millimeters, between the two cradles would doom your tires in short order.

If you do not have those exact (and correct) measurements you can calculate until your socks fall off and learn nothing.

Or you can do trial and error getting as close as possible without new mounting holes.

My guess is that the trial and error method could take less time than all that weighing and measuring before calculation begins.

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just used trial and error on mine. Put a shorter boat on my old trailer so had to move the bow stop backwards which ruined the balance of the trailer. Towed it like that for a couple of months before i got sick of the trailer telling the car where to go, and having to put axle stands under the trailer before unhitching it. So got the boat off the trailer and moved the axle back about 4 inches on the trailer, tightened up the bolts. Loaded boat and drove home. Was much better but not perfect. So next time out undid the bolts again and moved it another 2 inches. Rides perfect and is now balanced perfectly on the trailer with plenty of ball weight. Spent a grand total of 10 minutes fixing the problem and didnt have to bother with any head scratchin' ;)

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

My question would be what makes you think it needs to be changed, what is the total weight of the boat and trailer, it may be balanced like it should be right now. the tongue weight should be should 10 % of the total weight.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My question would be what makes you think it needs to be changed, what is the total weight of the boat and trailer, it may be balanced like it should be right now. the tongue weight should be should 10 % of the total weight.

Good question, Cruiser. We all should have asked that before offering advice.

wallychaser

Seaman Apprentice

My total weight would be at the 2500lbs mark, so certainly on the + side of 10% at 350lbs (14%). Seems like a small "Trial & Error" excercise will be in order. Thanks to all...

Chip Chester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can spot a similar boat, with similar equipment, ask the owner what his tongue weight is (bring a scale) and then measure from ball to axle on his trailer. While it won't be exact, it'll get you real close, and let you prepare if other drilling/mods are necessary.

Chip

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

the other option is to move the boat back,m if there is room on the trailer and bunks.....you would move the winch tower as well...

id rather b at 9% and be able to move the boat around a little and lift the tounge off the ball by mayself instead of 100% using the jack

bob