Mouse in Mustang

robert graham

Admiral
My 1997 Mustang convertible lives mostly in the garage except for weekend cruising....a mouse has taken up residence somewhere in the trunk or other??....without totally stinking up the car is there anything I can spray or put inside the car and trunk that will run the critter out?.....Mothballs and rodent spray called "Critter Ridder" both have a lingering odor that might not suit the boss-lady. Any ideas from you mouse experts?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Place a couple of glue traps where you think it has been running around ..

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Trap sounds good to catch it.......

I've also heard peppermint oil on cotton balls. That's what we use in our 5th wheel.

Dryer sheets........

Maybe a combination of a couple traps and one of the "smellys"........

robert graham

Admiral
Well, I have some good old fashion mouse traps, peppermint oil and dryer sheets.....maybe like you guys say, best to trap 'em and then put the peppermint and dryer sheets to prevent returning....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I had a '68 GTO and a mouse died in the kick panel vent. Boy did it stink for a while... Terrible...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You can also go with live traps. Put a couple live traps in and then check them daily. If you catch one, you can release it in the woods. Just an idea to keep a dead mouse out of the vehicle.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You can also go with live traps. Put a couple live traps in and then check them daily. If you catch one, you can release it in the woods. Just an idea to keep a dead mouse out of the vehicle.

The only good mouse, is a dead mouse........:D

Fed

Commander
Use a piece of Mars Bar for bait, it's much better than cheese.

robert graham

Admiral
Well, I'm gonna deal with this rodent but I still don't understand how he's getting into the trunk of my Mustang?.... Seems like it's sealed up?...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Well, I'm gonna deal with this rodent but I still don't understand how he's getting into the trunk of my Mustang?.... Seems like it's sealed up?...

Those suckers can flatten like a pancake. I found birdseed in the trunk of my rod. The only way in is the seam around the decklid..... It's crazy..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Irish spring soap shaved into paper bowls all over the car and glue traps with a dab of peanut butter in the middle

foodfisher

Captain
Use peanut butter for bait....they can't resist the aroma.
Tie a piece of steel wool to a regular snap trap trigger. Smear the peanut butter into the steel wool and set the trap. Mice have curved teeth that snag the wool. No bait stealing.

82rude

Rear Admiral
All good suggestions particularly the only good mouse is a dead mouse.When i buy a older car im buying a cougar because we all know cats kill mice.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
All good suggestions particularly the only good mouse is a dead mouse.When i buy a older car im buying a cougar because we all know cats kill mice.

Funny.......

"I hate meeces to pieces......" :)

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Place a dish of household ammonia in the area. Leave a outlet for them to escape. They will leave!

robert graham

Admiral
Well, I took everything out of the car and trunk...vacuumed dirt, mouse turds, etc., but no mouse or nest seen.....being a convertible maybe nest down in the area where the top folds down into and you can't see or get at.....I've put chunks of Irish spring soap and rags soaked in fabric softener under seats, carpets, in trunk....left a trap with peanut butter bait on front floorboard....maybe in the morning?.... Car is sure nice and clean and smells great!...maybe in the morning!....will keep you posted!