Mounting spare with a hub ideas

rvrlaxn

Cadet
Put an entire new axle under my Aluminator trailer. The old axle was junk, but it did have new hubs on it. I went from 13 to 14 inch wheel/tires. I would like to carry one of the 13's with the good hub as a spare. I know that they are of a different size, but it is after all a spare for emergency. My new stuff has bearing buddy lube but you never know. Are there after market mounts? If not, I would like to see what ya'll have come up with for carrying a wheel/tire/hub assembly.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mounting spare with a hub ideas

If the new hubs are the same wheel bolt pattern, and the old axles were junk..........
You could saw off the spindle a few inches inboard and then u-bolt it to the top side of your frame somewhere.
Cut off both axle ends and then weld them end to end and u-bolt that to the frame for two spare hubs.

Bifflefan

Commander

Go to Harbor Freight and get a $15 spare tire mount. Then just keep the your parts box.
Or get the hud welded to the mount, then out the tire on it.

rvrlaxn

Cadet

Love it Jeeperman. Will do that. I hope I never would need two, but, will do one on each side. Cannot hurt, maybe I can help someone else out sometime. Will cut the axles off with a little left to put throught a die, put a cap on it. Will keep the extra lug nuts, perhaps some grease and who knows what in the axles. Nice. Already have 4 ubolts that came with the new axle. Old stuff was bigger and better, but the smaller new stuff is perfect for a spare. Could even take them off and use them on trailer if needed as they are the correct bend for existing axle. Thanks.