Mounting outboard to transom

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer
What type of sealant or compound should be used when putting the bolts through the transom to prevent water intrusion? Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mounting outboard to transom

3m 4200. coat the bolts, make it ooose out, tighten, then clean up.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Will do, thanks for reply. Should be available at the local ace hardware or home depot,lowes?

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Picked up some 3m 5200, they did not have 4200, will this be a good substitute?
Not in a big hurry to seal it as I am working on locating a cmc t-n-t and have to rewire the skeeter. thanks

JJB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would not use 5200 if you plan on ever getting them out , go with 4200 you never know what is adhead ! I had to move my engine one hole and was glad I used 4200 and not 5200 .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it will work, just make removing the bolt much harder. 5200 is considered permanent.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

I will tryfind some 4200, thanks Tasha'sDaddy

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with the 4200 over the 5200, if you are only going to do one outboard I would try to find the smaller squeeze tube instead of the cartridge that goes in a caulk gun. As you know the stuff is fairly expensive and once you open it you pretty much need to use it up right away or it starts to cure in the tube or cartridge. You can put it in the fridge to slow down cure time a lot but I think you would be better off getting the small tube that way your not out as much if it does kick off in the tube. Make sure you clean the bolts, holes, inside of holes with q-tip, and surrounding area real well with acetone to assure a good bond to everything. It wont hurt to get some on the threads of the bolts either, it will kind of act like a loctite on the threads.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Check walmarts boat section,they sell the small tubes at the one near me..
I have found it at Lowes also after asking a store employee that said they did not have it...walked down the isle and there it was...:rolleyes:

Old Salt Oz

Seaman

Any fixing through ply should be drilled out oversize, filled with epoxy resin and Micro-fibres. re drill after curing for 24 hours above 20*C and below 72% humidity.

This will ensure the ply remains dry and the transom may survive a whole lot longer.

Adding sealant to the hole is still required.

Hope this helps.

Avagoodweekend......

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies, plan on getting to mounting the engine this weekend, time and weather permitting.

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As a general rule of thumb.....
3M 5200 should be used as a sealer when the bolts/screws will be permanent

3M 4200 should be used as a sealer when or if you ever want to remove or replace any fastners ;)