mounting of fish locator

mkrupp

Seaman
Well I think i'm going to add a fish locator this spring, i drag the boat on shore every weekend when i'm done (12 ft alumacraft). My worry would be breaking the device that is mounted under the water line.
Should i just use suction cups that are intended for portable devices? or is there a better answer
thanks again

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: mounting of fish locator

My transducer (Lowrance) has a flip-up design so objects don't damage it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

mkrupp, I will assume that that boat doesn't go faster that 15MPH or so. If so, you should be able to mount it on the outside of the transom, up 1/2 inch or more from the bottom. When you drag it onto the land, it will be above the ground. You need to see how much of your transom is exposed whn the boat is at high speed, and mount it accordingly. Swampnut is also correct, the transducer will kick up.

wbeaton

Commander

Those are all good ideas, however, they all have their problems too. The suction cup transducers almost always lose contact and end up dragging behind the boat or getting cut off by the prop. Mounting the transducer high on the transom will likely result in a lose of soundings when at speed so it will only be good at low speed or when stopped. If you set the transducer screw loose and let it kick up when you drag the boat on shore you will probably damage the transducer or mounting bracket after a short time. Also, you will have to reach into the water and re-adjust the transduer everytime you go out. The best way to mount a transducer on a car topper like yours is too mount the transducer on a piece of wood cut to the length of the transom (ie. 15" piece of a hockey stick or 1"x2"). Mount the transducer on the bottom of the stick and clamp it on to the top of the transom using a good "c" clamp or carpenters clamp. This allows you to adjust the height of the transducer and remove it when not in use. If you want something more stationary then bolt or screw the top of the stick at the top of the transom loosely so that you can swivel the transducer up when you are done. You will still need a clamp to hold it in place when underway. Make sure you know what operating depth you need before you bolt on the stick.

03TB

Cadet

I had to do this same thing with my dads 14' starcraft last year on vacation. Before you beach it, reach down and flip up the transducer, then beach it, you should be ok, providing the transducer is mounted below the transom at all. I would only do this if you were beaching on to sand though.

Doug

D

DJ

I mounted one on an old trolling motor shaft and clamp bracket. I removed the motor from the bottom of the shaft and then just mounted the transducer.

That allowed me to "flip up" the shaft when beaching.

You could easily do the same thing with a dowel rod and a hefty "C" clamp.

This also keeps you from drilling holes in your transom.