Mounting new 20HP EFI Outboard - Should I BOLT?

lordx

Cadet
Hey all - just got the new Merc EFI 20HP outboard engine (short shaft) for a 14 foot Yamaha G3 V-hull aluminum boat.

The boat is only rated to 20HP, so I am maxing it out with this engine. Should I bolt through the hull?

If so, any tips? This will be my first time doing something like this. I ordered some 3M 4200 stuff to put around the bolts when/if I do bolt it.

Just find the right drill bit, drill, and bolt? That's it?

Should I mount the motor with just the screw bolts first, to make sure it is in the right place for me, or should I always mount directly in the middle of the transom?

I know this is a noob question, and I appreciate any help!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Always mount in the middle of the transom. Yes absolutely bolt the motor on and use good stainless hardware.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
i would clamp, find sweet spot, then bolt

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
i would clamp, find sweet spot, then bolt

And while you're working out the sweet spot, use something to hold on to the motor if the clamps loosen. Your new motor won't end up on the bottom of the lake.

lordx

Cadet
I usually use two padlocks connected together on the screw clamps to prevent theft - this would also prevent them from loosening yes?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Sweet spot referring to height of the motor on the transom.
Test different heights for performance.

Lock on the clamps will prevent loosening.
BUT....
It will not prevent the clamp from sliding up over the top of the transom, or popping over, if you hit something.

All clamp on motors should be secured with a safety rope, chain, or a turnbuckle.
There have been many motors that have ended up at the bottom of the deep blue sea.

https://youtu.be/4CjCFqXGwpc

lordx

Cadet
I don't have a height adjustment on the boat (I wonder if the motor does?) - so if I don't, would using a piece of wood to 'raise' the transom do the trick?

lordx

Cadet
And roscoe - now I am scared to death... just dropped $2800 on this motor... I can't even imagine the horror if what happened to that guy happened to me...

82rude

Rear Admiral
Happens every year.Id bolt it also.Some motors will be perfect directly mounted some need a tweak.I used old hockey sticks to raise being a canuck,lol.As long as your transom is a short also your should be ok its not like it a race motor.Ive only ever had to hockey stick one combo and that was a Grumman deep and wide with a 25 mariner.