Mounting kicker motor

mv6767

Cadet
I am wondering where would be the best location and what mount to use to put a 15hp Johnson kicker on my 21 ft Mariner.

If anyone has any ideas for hooking up the controls so as to operate everything from the console I'd like that also.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mounting kicker motor

On my 22 ft Holiday there was room to mount a 9.9 kicker and connect to the primary steering. On the left side. However If you have a remote control for the kicker just mount he bracket where it works for you then get the proper length cables. A tiller can be converted but I am finding it most impossible to do without some serious fabricating on the Merc, Motor to make it work.

mv6767

Cadet

ezmobee, thanks for the link! Exactly what I had in mind.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I have almost the same set up between my 200 Johnson and my 9.9 Merc kicker. Works nice and the control rod does not have to be adjusted. You can raise either motor as needed and the other will work fine. Both motors fit the transon on my 22 Holiday. The 200 is a bit of a horse and takes more room than a 100-150 due to the V6 motor.

barato2

Commander

i like everything he did except for getting rid of the separate fuel for kicker and using oil pump instead of premix. by not having separate fuel supply, you risk your kicker being unusable too if you get bad gas or fuel supply issues with the main tank. the whole point of having the kicker is redundacy. and it's not like any of us have ever heard of a VRO system failing on an OMC.......:rolleyes: