mounting a second transducer

watermellon1

Seaman Apprentice
howdi all, I was considereing mounting a second transducer in the forward part of my boat (19 ft i/o) to help detect shallow water and objects before I hit anything as well as finding fish, was gonna mount in in the V forward at an angle 45 degrees to waterline yall rekon this ll work?

thanks for all the help

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: mounting a second transducer

The depth displayed is the shallowest (closest bottom detected) in the cone...I'm no geometrist, but I'm thinking...if your transducer angle of attack is half the cone angle, the true depth will be displayed. mounted at a 45º angle, and assuming a 20º cone angle, you'll be looking at a 55º angle to the bottom. But the surface will give a return that looks like a "false bottom"...you'd have to set an angle that hits bottom before it hits top...

also, in the forward V it will (might?) be out of the water on plane, won't work at all.

but you might be able to come up with an early-warning type thing...if you decide to experiment with it, please to keep us posted.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind that if your are on plane once the transducer sees shallow water it will be too late to avoid going aground. It all depends on how quickly the water goes from shallow to deep but generally speaking, you can't react fast enough to prevent hitting something like a sharp reef, rock piles, submerged dams, or any other object where the water depth changes quickly. While a depth finder/locator certainly helps avoid trouble, it is a navigation aid, not a "for sure" tool.

watermellon1

Seaman Apprentice

oops forgot I posted this, but it sounds like i ll just abandon the whole idea, silvertip has a good point, also been busy with bad stringers and wet foam, gone to another area of iboats, sure am glad i found yall!!!
thanks