Motormounts 180 deg. off, will it matter?

dacoroner

Cadet
1) I have a 1989 sleekcraft 21' modified V hull w/350 Mag-alpha 1 drive. After destroying the lower outdrive at Lake Havasu last summer I just replaced it with a SE106 from Stren Drive Engineering. I also replaced all the bellows, gimble bearing etc.. During reassembly I needed to make a slight alignment adjustment using the slot in the motormounts. Everything went back together easily and works great (so far, on land anyway). My question is this; in the service manual it states "the slot in the motormount is to be installed towards the front of the engine" and mine are mounted 180 deg. off with the slot towards the rear of the engine. Since it's a pain in the butt to turn the mounts to the correct position I was planning to leave them as is. Will this cause me any problems or be an issue in the future?

2) Upon filling my Alpha 1 drive (new SE106 lower and my old upper unit) it took 1qt. 6oz. of quicksilver lube. does anyone know where the extra 6oz. went? Everything was level and I verified it was not overfilled. Not a problem I was just curious if this is normal since the rated capacity is 1qt.!

Any and all input is appreciated!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Motormounts 180 deg. off, will it matter?

1) I have a 1989 sleekcraft 21' modified V hull w/350 Mag-alpha 1 drive. After destroying the lower outdrive at Lake Havasu last summer I just replaced it with a SE106 from Stren Drive Engineering. I also replaced all the bellows, gimble bearing etc.. During reassembly I needed to make a slight alignment adjustment using the slot in the motormounts. Everything went back together easily and works great (so far, on land anyway). My question is this; in the service manual it states "the slot in the motormount is to be installed towards the front of the engine" and mine are mounted 180 deg. off with the slot towards the rear of the engine. Since it's a pain in the butt to turn the mounts to the correct position I was planning to leave them as is. Will this cause me any problems or be an issue in the future?

2) Upon filling my Alpha 1 drive (new SE106 lower and my old upper unit) it took 1qt. 6oz. of quicksilver lube. does anyone know where the extra 6oz. went? Everything was level and I verified it was not overfilled. Not a problem I was just curious if this is normal since the rated capacity is 1qt.!

Any and all input is appreciated!

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... What slot, in which motor mounts ya talkin' 'bout,..??

The Alpha drives hold 'bout 1, 1/2 quarts...
Usin' only a quart would leave the upper gear set, Dry...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

1) in the service manual it states "the slot in the motormount is to be installed towards the front of the engine"

It sure sounds like you are talking about the gimbal bearing... although it is hard to confuse the two. Not sure what slots you are referring to otherwise. :confused:

And ditto on Bond-o comment - the drive will take more than a quart.

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice

I think he's talking about the part of the cast engine mount that lags to the stringer. I noticed a slot in mine the other day when I took my engine out - I don't remember if it was in the front or rear though. One side was just a hole - the other was a slot about 3/4" long.

mount.jpg

Here's a picture out of the manual and you can see the slot in the rear

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member

I'm thinking that those engine mounts are symmetrical . . .

MMDF210.jpg

So it won't matter if the slot is forward or aft.

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice

If that's the way it was installed originally and the engine aligns ok, that's the way I would put it back. When they drilled the holes in the stringer, they may have been off a little and if you start changing things, you may be headed down a path that you don't want to travel.

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice

I'm thinking that those engine mounts are symmetrical . . .

MMDF210.jpg

So it won't matter if the slot is forward or aft.

I guess the definitive answer to this would be check the part numbers and see if they're the same for right and left. Sure looks like one mount would cover both sides to me also.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I guess the definitive answer to this would be check the part numbers and see if they're the same for right and left. Sure looks like one mount would cover both sides to me also.

[size=+2]IF[/size] he's referring to these engine mounts, then yes, they are the same for both port and starboard.

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice

[size=+2]IF[/size] he's referring to these engine mounts, then yes, they are the same for both port and starboard.

What else COULD he be referring to? What other part of the mount has a slot in it. The manual says exactly what he says, "the slot in the motormount is to be installed towards the front of the engine"

It's on page 121 of book 15

achris

More fish than mountain goat

What else COULD he be referring to? What other part of the mount has a slot in it. The manual says exactly what he says, "the slot in the motormount is to be installed towards the front of the engine"

It's on page 121 of book 15

Well, for starters that page and those instruction refer to the MIE variant, not the MCM variant, which is what OP has....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1. Don't worry about the slot in the motor mount. Half the boats I've worked on have them backwards. Maybe there is a bit more adjustment if it's to the front, who knows. If you get it aligned, don't worry about it. (Manual #15 page 2A-4)

2. Oil capacity varies depending on gears, machining, and casting. 32-38 ounces is normal. You are always going to spill some anyway, fill it until it comes out the vent, then the drive is full. No matter how much it takes.