motorguide xi5 36v battery selection help

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, just got this trolling motor for my 25ft tahoe 254, need help selecting proper batteries.
I currently have 1 deep cycle battery in my old boat which i am thinking about re purposing if possible (not sure about brand and model, not near it now).

With batteries sky is the limit in terms of prices and choices. I am on lake Champlain where its often windy but no strong currents. Would primarily use this for the anchor feature over deeper spots and some trolling. Would probably need 2-3 hours of usage out of it. Does anyone have similar setup and/or can suggest optimal configuration? I did some research and also called Motorguide - they were pretty much "get the biggest one you can get"
What capacity can i start at? I am leaning toward AGM vs the gel mostly because of the cost which is driving factor here.

thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
For that type of use it won't make much of a difference in battery type, most should last 2-3 hours of moderate use, actual trolling with a 25' boat will suck juice though, and if there's much wind it will discharge faster, that's if it will move the boat at all.

​For actual trolling on a boat that size it's common to run a gas kicker for propulsion and a bow mount GPS guided electric motor as the auto pilot, this allows the kicker to provide 90% of the work to get up to and maintain the speed, but the electric to control direction, this allows the batteries to last all day.

​My boat is smaller, but I can troll with the bow mounted electric for about 8 continuous hours, the batteries are just the typical wet cell old school type.

​As for battery size, measure what will fit in the allotted space and get the biggest ones that fit.