Motor swap

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So i have water in my motor. Its a cracked block from improper winterizing. Out on the lake today and motor starts foaming like a rabid dog , from the valve cover vents. Any way i need to replace the motor with the same or larger one( More fun). Its a 1995 4.3 Mercruiser Vortec thats in a 1995 Maxum 1800sr. Any advice on what motor would be best ( and where to start looking for one other than ebay). Ive read any 4.3 gm motor will work from like an s10. .......................................Also i ran the boat for about 10 minuted when i shut it off. Is the whole motor a loss or can i just get another block??? I know noone can definitively answer this last question with out a complete inspection of bearings cylinders etc. , but opinions are welcome from the experts.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Get yerself a Long Block crate motor, rather than a bare replacement block,......

Then swap over all the accessories from yer motor to the Long Block,.....

A '96 to current production will give ya Vortec heads, which is good for 'bout 20 hp,...
Only draw-back is, you'll need a new intake manifold,...

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
-So these are long blocks? Serial number OF585858
-Mine is a 95 and a Vortec, Some 95s must have had vortec too? Maybe late 95 model?
-Anyhoo, what should i expect to pay for the replacement and where is a good place to get one.
-I was thinking that why not put a V8 while im going through the trouble. are there any that are compatible with little to no modifications?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
-Mine is a 95 and a Vortec,

Ayuh,.... Yer valve covers might say Vortec, but the heads are Not Vortec fast-burn heads,.....

They came out in '96,....

Long Block is the configuration,...

A Bare Block is just the block castin',....
A Short Block is a complete motor, with no heads,...
A Long Block is a complete motor, less the bolt on accessories,...
A Bobtail motor is a fully dressed drop-in ready complete runnin' motor,....

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

so they just put vortec valve covers on these?

Attachments

• photo261881.jpg
    photo261881.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261882.jpg
    photo261882.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261883.jpg
    photo261883.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The name Vortec, preceded the fast-burn heads, which became known as Vortec heads,....

Yer intake manifold bolts down with 12 bolts,...
True Vortec heads use only 8 intake bolts,....

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Ayuh,.... The name Vortec, preceded the fast-burn heads, which became known as Vortec heads,....

What he said. Count the intake bolts.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rut the fark...way to confuse an idiot GM . i appreciate yous guys clearing that up. so now the motor is ready to pull.
Who do you recommend for the crate motor. Summit or any of the other national guys or what?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Michigan motorz treated me pretty well. They have reman and new long blocks and base engines, warranty was valid if done by the owner vs a certified mechanic required for some warranties. In the end didn't need the warranty anyways.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
looking at a motor to replace this one 1995 v6 4.3 mercruiser. Local marine has 1998 Vortec 4.3 Volvo Penta reverse gear drive unit ( SN- 4110154542). Is this compatible with the Mercruiser alpha one gen 2 stern drive?
What does "
with reverse gear drive unit mean"?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
rut the fark...way to confuse an idiot GM . i appreciate yous guys clearing that up. so now the motor is ready to pull.
Who do you recommend for the crate motor. Summit or any of the other national guys or what?

Your local GM dealer may even have a longblock.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
looking at a motor to replace this one 1995 v6 4.3 mercruiser. Local marine has 1998 Vortec 4.3 Volvo Penta reverse gear drive unit ( SN- 4110154542). Is this compatible with the Mercruiser alpha one gen 2 stern drive?
What does "
with reverse gear drive unit mean"?
Put the 1998 Volvo penta, V6 4.3 Vortec in my boat. Went to start it and theres just a clunking of the starter , like its just barely hitting the fly wheel. What im thinking is that when i swapped the flywheel / Gimbal bearing / housing assembly that the flywheel is further away than the original and the starter cant fully engage it. any thoughts? the reason i changed the fly wheel assembly is because its very different and this wouldnt bolt on to it. see pic.

Attachments

• IMG_9061_60808898-0f6d-498d-a49f-3239d8a022e9_1024x1024.jpg
    IMG_9061_60808898-0f6d-498d-a49f-3239d8a022e9_1024x1024.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
any thoughts?

Ayuh,.... So what did the " with reverse gear drive unit mean"?....??

How much of which motors did ya use to do the swap,..??
Are ya testin' on a pallet, or in the hull,..??

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ayuh,.... So what did the " with reverse gear drive unit mean"?....??

How much of which motors did ya use to do the swap,..??
Are ya testin' on a pallet, or in the hull,..??
i used just the motor of the 1998 volvo penta. flywheel/ gimbal assembly from the 1995 merc, tried starters from both, alternator, carb, fuel pump, power steering pump, wireing harness from the merc.
why did u repeat the reverse drive post ?

Bondo

Staff member
Wonderin' the answer to yer question,....

Which flywheels are they, 12" or 14",..??
Each takes a different starter,...
Staggered bolts for the 14", 'n straight across for the 12",...

How much of the teeth are engagin',..??
Explain "Clunking",..??
What ain't turnin',..??

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wonderin' the answer to yer question,....

Which flywheels are they, 12" or 14",..??
Each takes a different starter,...
Staggered bolts for the 14", 'n straight across for the 12",...

How much of the teeth are engagin',..??
Explain "Clunking",..??
What ain't turnin',..??

both 14"
sounds like an automatic fire arm, machine gun
starter is turning, motor isnt

Last edited:

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took motor back out . Tested on bench and starter turns motor as it should. Soooo it's somewhere I've hooked something electrical wrong. I took good pics but still something isn't correct I suspect. Any ideas why the starter would do a loud impact wrench like sound when wires are wrong. Maybe the starter motor trying to turn the wrong way?