MOTOR SWAP: Evinrude (2005) 115hp to Mercury (2001) 175hp TIPS??

nhellbaum

Cadet
Looking for anyone who has some experience or knowledge on swapping brands of outboards. I have the 175 mounted and it is time to order controls, cables and figure out how to connect to all the dash gauges. My main questions at this time are:

1) How easily will the mercury controls and wiring connect to my boat's (2004 Alumacraft Trophy 180) gauges? The gauges were originally connected straight to the Evinrude motor (old wiring harness did NOT run through the throttle controls besides ignition leads and I believe the trim wires). There is a gauge for Speed, Tach, Trim, Warnings (Oil, Temp,...), Volts

2) The boat has the ignition key switch on the dash not the control box. Does anyone have a link or info on what control set up I can get to use the original ignition hole?

3) Any other tips or input on what I'm in for by switching brands would be appreciated!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The tach may not work with Merc. The newer ones work with both engines, so you can look up on the Manufacturer website and see if compatible. Mercs usually use a 12P or 6C setting.

Temp will probably work. Speedo will work, gas will work. Oil level (for 2 cycle oil injection) will probably work. Oil pressure for 4 cycle motors will probably work. Not sure about trim gauge, but they are inaccurate, and mostly useless, IMO

Both motors should have matching ignition wiring. As for harness, it depends on which controls you buy. Wiring colors should be the same. Wires to the Ign switch for the Merc, should be the same color and number as the Evinrude, I would think.

nhellbaum

Cadet
Hey thanks for the response.
I decided to order the exact same controls that were previously connected to the 175 I bought. (Previous owner kept his controls). These controls include the ignition in the box but figure this will at least ensure everything will connect to the motor flawlessly. From what I can tell, the old controls from my Evinrude had three wires that lead to the trim gauge and the new controls do as well so hopefully that functions although I don't have much use for it either. I did have to cut and leave a couple feet of wire from my Tach (as it was part of the direct wiring from the Evinrude) and may end up having to locate and directly connect the tach wires from the new motor harness to the existing wires.

I found out the warnings/monitor gauge I have are specifically for Evinrude. This was the one gauge that had a wiring harness plug that connected to the back of the gauge and not just wire posts. Seems that needs to stay with the harness from the Evinrude. I hope I can get some sort of warnings gauge for the Merc to fill that hole.

Should have my new controls end of week and will do a follow up to hopefully help the next guy out!