motor starts then dies when put in gear

tefindy

Recruit
:(I have a 1981 evinrude 15 hp motor that has sat for a year,now when I tried to start it ,it runs, but when I attempt to put it in gear it dies.What would cause this? Also, even when out of gear it doesn't want to rev up when given gas. Help!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: motor starts then dies when put in gear

dirty carb,

trimmers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yup! clean the carb and get clean fuel. Also, check on the choke linkage or solenoide (whatever it has), ensure it is not sticking.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If it is year old fuel as well that had no stabilizer in it then do not use it. Most likely as previously said a dirty varnished carb.
Welcome to iboats

mitchell6

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just to throw it in don't be reviing it up to much unless you have it in the water dont need to rev up over 1000 rpm's in my opinion while you have it on muffs

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

While it's probably a dirty carb, just to be sure, pull each plug wire off when it's running to make sure you have spark on both cylinders... But in the 80's you should be ok that way.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

If it is year old fuel as well that had no stabilizer in it then do not use it. Most likely as previously said a dirty varnished carb.
Welcome to iboats

Nice flag!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I like my homemade Craig Cat... Although maybe at the bottom... Next thing you know though then the US folks will start putting their flags up... Then the Aussie's and the Brits!... Soon it'll start looking like the podium's in Vancouver!

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Is the spring like weather starting to thaw you guys out up there? You're all getting pretty excited!?

Mas

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Ottawa supposed to go up to +8C tomorrow, its a start, 2 weeks and my cast comes off, then rehab then hopefully boating.

tefindy

Recruit

Thanx for your carb input,I did rebuild it and set the float,I used the float that was in it,it looked new and I didn't know how to check it.Anyway. I just noticed that the cam follower roller has a BIG groove warn in it.Could this be my problem with the engine dying? What would cause so much damage? this thing is supposed to roll on the flywheel cam, not slide against it.It's about worn completely through.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Replace it, they are like5 bucks - they pull off and snap on, they do wear over time and will have a hand in your engine performance, especially at idle.